Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
Jaware

Default Re: Extensive stealth explination

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The Pygmy gets a +1 to it's vision checks due to the Lizard Man's SM +1, the Lizard Man is at -1 to spot the Pygmy due only to SM (say if it isn't being Stealthy).

Yeah, if the Lizard Man does nothing to break LOS (which he might not know he needs to) the Pygmy can pretty easily follow him. Though in a thick enoguh jungle the Pygmy might lose LOS easily enough. Your call.

There is no inherent penalty or bonus to Stealth due to SM. Only to the Observation or Perception rolls.

By RAW it's Tracking versus Tracking and the track coverer moves at only half rate. However as most monster stat blocks are largely only concerned with combat stats... this is my fudge:

The Tracker makes Quick Contests of Tracking versus Stealth with a bonus equal to 1/2 the quarry's Movement rate (doubled if the target is sprinting). If the Tracker wants to move faster than 1/2 Move, he takes a penalty equal to the extra Move he is taking (double penalty if the Tracker sprints). (I always figure moving Stealthily means you're avoiding making noises, like breaking twigs, scuffing rocks, avoiding squelching mud, etc. Keep in mind the Pygmy is at -5 to Stealth if it's moving faster than Move 1.)

So if your Lizard Man has a Move of 6 and is following a fleeing Pygmy (Move 6, 7 if he's sprinting), the Lizard Man makes his roll at +3 (or +8 if the Pygmy sprints!) if he is taking his time. If he's trying to keep up, he makes them at +0.

If your Tracker is following a group, roll Stealth for the whole group*.

Keep in mind though, that is my House Rule.

If the group is 'counter-tracking" (ie using the Tracking skill to cover their tracks) then I don't give bonuses unless the quarry is moving faster than 1/2 Move. In that case I asses bonuses to the Tracker as above.

* Keep in mind it's a +6 for Tracking a group. +3 for tracking a non-Animal (the rules say "man" but I take that to be "non-animal"). While there are no SM bonuses or penalties to tracking, I'd say use them too if you want. So Pygmies are +2 to track individually, +5 for whole groups.

Nice tactic!

Okay, if you have Martial Arts this question is pretty well answered for you:

-2 to one-handed grapple a foe (and -2 to grappling techniques, -4 to deal damage one-handed using grapple techniques (like Arm Lock or Neck Snap), 1/2 ST for Chokes and Strangling). This penalty extends to resisting their Break-free attempts.

If you aren't using Martial Arts rules... eh... I forget exactly where they are (I think they're scattered around) but basically your at 1/2 ST for everything (-5 to rolls for Chokes and Strangles) you have to do if grappling with only one-hand.

Even if you don't have Martial Arts I'd use them, it's easy to remember:
-2 to hit and grapple technique rolls, -4 to deal damage via a technique. +2 for each hand beyond two (say for those legendary Coleopteran grapplers).

Also if you allow Techniques, a grappler can learn One-Handed variants of any technique to buy off up to -2. Say for those legendary Coleopteran grapplers who like to choke out 4 enemies at once!
Alrighty my friend. I thank you much.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camouflage, hiding, sneaky, stealth