Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #51
Kalzazz

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech

How unkind of the TL 0-4 peoples not making fast draw scabbards for archaeologists to find

But that makes sense, if they didnt make them, then they arent in Low Tech
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #52
Barghaest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How unkind of the TL 0-4 peoples not making fast draw scabbards for archaeologists to find

But that makes sense, if they didnt make them, then they arent in Low Tech
Maybe they did make them, but they were more like breakaway holsters and didn't withstand the ravages of time...

Could have sworn there were 'fast draw' devices for knives and such (mainly wrist sheaths and the like) at least as far back as the renaissance. But I've always considered them akin to Kromm's suggestion of equipment quality giving the skill bonus to FD.
Barghaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #53
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barghaest View Post
Could have sworn there were 'fast draw' devices for knives and such (mainly wrist sheaths and the like) at least as far back as the renaissance. But I've always considered them akin to Kromm's suggestion of equipment quality giving the skill bonus to FD.
MA already covers this:

Under Fast-Draw p.104
Knife: +0 if sheathed at your hip or (darts only) in a
quiver, -1 if sheathed elsewhere (bandolier, wrist, handledown
on chest†, etc.),

If you mean "spring loaded-mechanism", (as popular in wild west fiction), I don't think they had them before much later.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #54
Barghaest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
If you mean "spring loaded-mechanism", (as popular in wild west fiction), I don't think they had them before much later.
I was aware of the location modifiers from MA, I was referring to equipment. And no, not spring-loaded more greased/waxed and/or 'break away'. A good example would be a wrist sheathe that has a light cord keeping the weapon in... gravity and most normal activity wouldn't cause the weapon to fall out but it would provide little resistance for drawing and possibly even be dislodged by a rapid snap of the arm. Like I said though, I'd used Kromm's suggestion for equipment to cover these - a good quality wrist sheathe would give +1 to FD negating the -1 for location... a fine might give a net +1.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #55
Mailanka

Default Re: Low Tech 4e Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Marshal View Post
But math man!
My God! Think of my poor brain!
Maths? In a GURPS book??? Say it isn't so!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #56
Diomedes

Quote:
I am glad they took out the caveat that to layer armor it had to be 'concealable as or under clothing' but I'm still pondering the rigid... I could see someone hanging a mail 'tabard' over plate armor, which could technically be considered layering flexible over rigid and I'd have a hard time telling someone they couldn't (or that the DR wouldn't help) so I see it more as interior rigid layers penalizing the ability of outer layers to be concealed - if you put a breastplate under a chain hauberk it would make it far harder to conceal the suit as a whole than the the hauberk alone...
The reason you can't put flexible armor over rigid is that it then loses its ability to absorb blows by deforming.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #57
Barghaest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
The reason you can't put flexible armor over rigid is that it then loses its ability to absorb blows by deforming.
Not entirely... not all flexible armor would be 'loose'. Usually chain shirts were form fitted not hanging loosely. It'd be no different layering a chain shirt over a metal breastplate than layering over your skin. The links themselves still have the flexibility to spread impact. And in the case of using another flexible armor like padded or layered leather, what they're draped over doesn't affect their ability to soften impacts. The human body isn't exactly as rigid as metal armor, granted but it's not flexible either - it's more like rigid leather (especially on those with good muscle tone).
Old 10-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #58
ArmoredSaint

Okay, all the armour complaints I had have evaporated after reading the armour section.

Well done. Thank you guys for this.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #59
DanHoward

Personally I don't have a restriction. A player can layer armour any way he wants so long as only one layer is rigid.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #60
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Not entirely... not all flexible armor would be 'loose'. Usually chain shirts were form fitted not hanging loosely. It'd be no different layering a chain shirt over a metal breastplate than layering over your skin. The links themselves still have the flexibility to spread impact. And in the case of using another flexible armor like padded or layered leather, what they're draped over doesn't affect their ability to soften impacts. The human body isn't exactly as rigid as metal armor, granted but it's not flexible either - it's more like rigid leather (especially on those with good muscle tone).
Are you talking about chain shirts in specific? Because my impression that most chain armor was worn hanging loosely.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agriculture, cabaret chicks on ice, low tech