Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Ubiquitous

Default GURPS Star Wars?

Wondering if anyone's done some home-cooking for a Star Wars campaign, or can throw out a good place to start if you wanted to make one. UT has Blasters and Whatnot, and I'm led to believe a few 4e books deal with spaceships so there's that; it's mostly how to do Jedi and the like, since you'd have to build nearly every power individually (which'd be a pain, bookmarks'd be nice).

All my searching on the forum just led me to 3e vehicle templates, hope you guys can help more.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Star Wars?

Here is one thread.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=59993
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Just? JUST!!??

All kidding aside, there's a lot of great stuff online (i.e., off these boards); just google GURPS SW.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com

Last edited by PK; 03-03-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Removed link to unauthorized book
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Jamaraq

Here is another website dedicated to this:
http://members.chello.nl/l.deckers3/sw_gurps.html
Jamaraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
AmesJainchill

My groups extensive GURPS Star Wars wiki, with house rules, GURPS Spaceships examples, and vehicle and equipment stats, is at www.arewebeingfollowed.pbworks.com

As to Lord Azagthoth's work...he and I differ greatly in our approaches. His Sentient Species document is not very useful at all, the species stats and their descriptions do not match up very well. Whoever wrote that document for 3rd edition (Lord Azagthoth simply converted it to 4E).

Last edited by AmesJainchill; 07-04-2010 at 10:56 AM.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Ubiquitous

Awww, you guys...Phaelen, they were good, I just dun own 3e and dunno how to convert for it.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Gudiomen

I've mucked about quite a lot with SW, had a really big campaign that barely got started and we moved to something else.

You'll find a lot of online materials, like the stuff the other posters pointed you to.

Most material doesn't adress the most important issues though, which are the feel of SW which is highly cinematic and story driven. The more you stat things, the more it becomes "hard" sci-fi and the further it moves from the feel of the movies.

Even more important than statting gear and vehicles, is going to be which rules you use. For example, I've heard good things about some cinematic and simplified form of space combat in the GURPS Spaceship series.

Cinematic options for personal combat are also highly appropriate.

Generally speaking, star wars stays very close to the "fun" side of fun vs. realistic... simplify, simplify, simplify.

Force powers are challenging to make, but once you have the basics down, there's not a lot to do. Contrary to the babble in the movies, jedi display a very limited number of tricks that can easily be built as powers that do very specific things. "Force Shove", "Force Choke", "Force Run", "Force Jump", "Force Danger Sense"... blah. You should avoid flexible systems, as they give players flexibility that jedi don't have in the movies.

Lightsabers are force swords, although you can up the damage to "kill/sever" because I've never seen anyone survive a lightsaber wound and not end up loosing some part.

Simplify rule goes for guns too, they can all look pretty, but since all blasters seem to kill all people, regardless of personal armor, just us a single gun for blasters, or maybe 3 types "light", "medium" and "heavy" and be done with it.

If you end up with anything that doesn't feel like being in a cowboy or indiana jones movie, you've missed the mark.

Ofcourse, you can use the SW backdrop and go "hard", my setting did this, but it's considerably more trouble and you'll end up with a feel that's very different.

Edit: simplification goes for morality too, the good are good, the bad are bad and the ugly... well, you get the point.

Last edited by Gudiomen; 07-04-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
JMD

There is an actual 4th ed Star Wars sourcebook you can use for pretty much everything you need.

As for the force sword being upped to auto death, along with blasters...that's a no no. Just play any of the games, and you'll see there are tons of shields and armors that can block lightsabers and blaster bolts.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Lightsabers are force swords, although you can up the damage to "kill/sever" because I've never seen anyone survive a lightsaber wound and not end up loosing some part.
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Attack of the Clones -- stabbed through the arm and the leg by Dooku, but survives un-amputated.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Boba Fett's mandelorian armor from The Empire Strikes Back disagrees
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote