Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters

GURPS Monster Hunters fans can rejoice, for this month's issue is Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters. If you've been wanting to run a monster-hunting game, but needed a little bit of inspiration, today is your day!

Need adventures? You can have not one, but two! "Last Stand on Mason Drive" by Matt Riggsby is a fairly direct scenario -- break, enter, attack -- until the third faction shows up and things get nice and complicated. Matt provides beautiful maps and uses baddies from MH1 and MH3 (available soon -- honest!) to make things simple on the GM. Then David Pulver's "The Horror Out of Dreams" offers a rather different spin on things, with a unique monster who only exists under certain circumstances -- and woe betide anyone in its clutches when it fades away! David provides stats for the monster and NPCs, so you can crack this one open and start using it today!

Need guns? Then you know to turn to Hans-Christian Vortisch, the GURPS Gun Guru, and his "Monster Hunter Firepower at the Movies." This reboot of the popular series of articles (from Pyramid vol. 2) looks at the movies that inspired Hans' GURPS Loadouts: Monster Hunters (a spiritual part of the Monster Hunters line). Not only does Hans go into detail on the weapons used in some of your favorite monster-killin' movies, he provides stats for anything not already in GURPS High-Tech or a related weapons catalog. So even if you hate movies and have burned your DVD player, you'll still want this for the 23 new firearms, from revolvers to flamethrowers.

Need an employer? Perhaps your hunters can work for J. Edward Tremlett's "The Network." This mysterious agency is powerful beyond belief, but they need the hunters to do the actual dirty work. Careful -- once you sign up, you sign up for life. But the perks might just make it all worth it . . .

Need a chance of pace? Christopher Rice's "Pulp Hunters" shows you how to transport your Monster Hunters game into a TL6 cliffhangers/pulp setting! Every template gets some tweaks or alternate takes. Perhaps your experiment was created by Drs. Frankenstein or Moreau. Or your inhuman is an ethomorph -- a new type of being in the vein of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. Or your warrior eschews Blade! for Fist! -- a wildcard skill adapted from GURPS Supers, but greatly expanded and made more useful. With further points for adapting gear, story types, hunting methods, and travel, you've got everything you need to take your game retro.

Finally, Steven Marsh discusses what makes monster games so comforting in his "Random Thought Table," while PK shares the films, shows, and books that make up the spiritual core of the series in "Inspirational Fiction." (Some of you have been asking for a bibliography -- told you I had a secret plan for sneaking one in!)

Whether you're hoping to run a great Monster Hunters game, or simply want to hunt some monsters without any of this new-fangled "genre series" advice, this issue of Pyramid will help ensure that this is a bad month to be a monster.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
griffin

Default Re: Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
GURPS Monster Hunters fans can rejoice, for this month's issue is Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters. If you've been wanting to run a monster-hunting game, but needed a little bit of inspiration, today is your day!
AWESOME! I'm really enjoying this issue. It's pretty much a dream issue for me. Excellent so far. I've just skimmed through it and then started reading the adventures. I'll read it in detail this weekend. Great job on assembling such a great issue.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Voltron64

You folks had me at Global Frequency, Monster Hunters-style. ;)
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
mattsd454

An issue that combines Underworld, Zombieland, Ghostbusters, Tremors, Army of Darkness, and a bunch of other movies that I love... AWESOME!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
lexington

I love it! The whole pulp hunter section is a goldmine, the ethomorph especially looks like fun.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I love it! The whole pulp hunter section is a goldmine, the ethomorph especially looks like fun.
Glad you liked it, I had some more but I decided to cut it, the word count was just to darn high. I had two more inhuman types I had created: the Golem, a creature created by magic (not just the classic rabbinical type, but any sort of creature made by magic) and the Cursed Immortal, a once mortal man who has been cursed with immortality ala Dorien Grey. I am pretty happy with how the Ethomorph turned out though (and that doesn't happen often, I'm nitpicky of my own stuff).

:)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Glad you liked it, I had some more but I decided to cut it, the word count was just to darn high.
Cut material is fodder for more articles. :)

Quote:
I had two more inhuman types I had created: the Golem, a creature created by magic (not just the classic rabbinical type, but any sort of creature made by magic) and the Cursed Immortal, a once mortal man who has been cursed with immortality ala Dorien Grey.
And I look forward to these articles when they come out :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron64 View Post
You folks had me at Global Frequency, Monster Hunters-style. ;)
*slides that poster a beer* :)

Now if anyone can guess what's actually running The Network... :D
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Kage2020

Quote:
... and the Cursed Immortal, a once mortal man who has been cursed with immortality ala Dorien Grey.
Now that is something that I would like to see... :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
I had two more inhuman types I had created: the Golem, a creature created by magic (not just the classic rabbinical type, but any sort of creature made by magic) and the Cursed Immortal, a once mortal man who has been cursed with immortality ala Dorien Grey. I am pretty happy with how the Ethomorph turned out though (and that doesn't happen often, I'm nitpicky of my own stuff).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Now that is something that I would like to see... :D
Me too. Any chance we can convince you to put your unpublished templates up on the fora?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, pyramid, pyramid 3/31