Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #21
nik1979

Default Re: GURPS central asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kealist
You know that's a great idea. I'm not sure if my friend has run that adventure or not beforehand. The other problem is that my gurps group right now is only myself and another guy (taking turns GMing). Can I adapt this campaign for one PC or should have have him control three? Or should he control one and I control two others in the bodyguard party?
Well, in my opinion controlling one character would be easier to GM. The way I'd go about it is allowing the other player to control one character but have NPCs which the GM will control and role-play, that he can switch with if the character is wounded or out of commission (like imprisoned, captured, taken for hostage etc.).

This will reduce the chances of player Knowledge affecting the way the other characters will act and conflict of interests from arising when controlling more than one character.

Quote:
I realized that I have a good book on Central Asian History that I forgot about. I will be reading some specific parts over the next few days in order to fit that campaign into this reality.
That's great. Don't take too long in the prep, its just an adventure and its just one Player. 1 player means faster resolution, so you may have to spend more time in having the character have more to do than getting the accuracy right. You might have as many as 1 combat or 1 set of skill challenges every 5-10 mins of role-playing before the player gets itchy to do something.

Even if your Player or Co-GM has played the adventure already, it would be easy enough to make his player knowledge work against him. The problem with knowing the adventure is the expectation of where trouble will hit him. Just change the Order and "dressing" of Key events, Reverse or Change the Roles (victim is now assailant and vice versa), and leave at least 2 red herrings (like allow for 1 or 2 of the original plots to follow through). I'm sure if you broke down the Plot and the key events on a piece of paper and rearranged them, it would only take up an hour to come up with a new adventure the other player will not be familiar with.

Oh yeah, Good luck!
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #22
kealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979
Well, in my opinion controlling one character would be easier to GM. The way I'd go about it is allowing the other player to control one character but have NPCs which the GM will control and role-play, that he can switch with if the character is wounded or out of commission (like imprisoned, captured, taken for hostage etc.).

This will reduce the chances of player Knowledge affecting the way the other characters will act and conflict of interests from arising when controlling more than one character.
Thanks for the good advice. We are both relatively new to the game, so I think I'm going to adapt the adventure and make it much simpler.

Quote:
That's great. Don't take too long in the prep, its just an adventure and its just one Player. 1 player means faster resolution, so you may have to spend more time in having the character have more to do than getting the accuracy right. You might have as many as 1 combat or 1 set of skill challenges every 5-10 mins of role-playing before the player gets itchy to do something.

Even if your Player or Co-GM has played the adventure already, it would be easy enough to make his player knowledge work against him. The problem with knowing the adventure is the expectation of where trouble will hit him. Just change the Order and "dressing" of Key events, Reverse or Change the Roles (victim is now assailant and vice versa), and leave at least 2 red herrings (like allow for 1 or 2 of the original plots to follow through). I'm sure if you broke down the Plot and the key events on a piece of paper and rearranged them, it would only take up an hour to come up with a new adventure the other player will not be familiar with.

Oh yeah, Good luck!
Thank you! I've been doing a lot of research the last few days. It's been really challenging to find out specific information for what I'm looking for, but I have found some cool documents that are helpful, such as Turpan's Silk Road Trade (pdf). Gotta keep looking. I chose a specific year (723) and am trying to find a good town to start off in. Turpan is a little closer/ in China than I am hoping for, so hopefully there will be something cool out there.

I think I will make it a single player adventure of a similar variety (caravan guarding) and try to keep it lively.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions as well. I'll probably run this in the next day or two, prepared or not...hehe. It's a huge learning experience.
kealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
nik1979

when a GM is made, an angel gets its wings.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #24
hal

Quote:
when a GM is made, an angel gets its wings.
When a player is made, a devil gets his pitchforks.

;)

*snickering*

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice