Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
ADAXL

Default Low Tech rules!

It is good to hear that Low Tech is coming to 4th edition GURPS. I loved the old Low Tech. It was perhaps the best sourcebook for classic fantasy adventuring (with or without magic) I ever had.

I hope the new edition will make me just as happy. It is good to hear that Peter V. Dell'Orto does the weapon section. I hope for lots of exotic gear to equip exotic guys.

Since Low Tech goes up to TL4, I expect the tech for a swashbuckler campaign (Pirate ships, rapiers, blunderbusses, bottles of rum). Could a new edition of GURPS Swashbucklers be far behind?
ADAXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Re: Low Tech rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAXL
It is good to hear that Low Tech is coming to 4th edition GURPS. I loved the old Low Tech. It was perhaps the best sourcebook for classic fantasy adventuring (with or without magic) I ever had.

I hope the new edition will make me just as happy. It is good to hear that Peter V. Dell'Orto does the weapon section. I hope for lots of exotic gear to equip exotic guys.

Since Low Tech goes up to TL4, I expect the tech for a swashbuckler campaign (Pirate ships, rapiers, blunderbusses, bottles of rum). Could a new edition of GURPS Swashbucklers be far behind?
I am also looking forward to the Low Tech book. What I would expect, however, is that the Low Tech book cover the *tech* but a book on Swashbucklers handle more of the Genre of Swashbucklers. I'm not speaking from any authority, incidentally, on what I think Swashbucklers would have in it, incidentally, just a preference that Swashbucklers build on the Tech of Low Tech but provide a lot of those specific things about the Genre that made Swashbucklers, 3rd Ed such a favorite of mine. A currency conversion chart between Spanish, English, and French coins, for example, as well as a Pirate Ship (in pretty color) deckplan would be a stunning addition to Swashbucklers, 4th Edition, but would be out of place in a Tech Book like Low-Tech.

So, I'd certainly be hoping for some sort of Swashbuckler's campaign book coming behind Low-Tech by some amount of time...

Cheers,

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
I am also looking forward to the Low Tech book. What I would expect, however, is that the Low Tech book cover the *tech* but a book on Swashbucklers handle more of the Genre of Swashbucklers. I'm not speaking from any authority, incidentally, on what I think Swashbucklers would have in it, incidentally, just a preference that Swashbucklers build on the Tech of Low Tech but provide a lot of those specific things about the Genre that made Swashbucklers, 3rd Ed such a favorite of mine. A currency conversion chart between Spanish, English, and French coins, for example, as well as a Pirate Ship (in pretty color) deckplan would be a stunning addition to Swashbucklers, 4th Edition, but would be out of place in a Tech Book like Low-Tech.

So, I'd certainly be hoping for some sort of Swashbuckler's campaign book coming behind Low-Tech by some amount of time...

Cheers,

-P.
And, of course, they should be doing some of the fancy moves that are culture and genre appropriate from Martial Arts. ;-)
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
And, of course, they should be doing some of the fancy moves that are culture and genre appropriate from Martial Arts. ;-)
Mais Oui, Sydney! C'est Vrai!! :)
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
I used all that stuff in my Paris 1717 campaign. It worked brilliantly. It was quite clear how the PCs' styles differed and how that affected the action.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
I used all that stuff in my Paris 1717 campaign. It worked brilliantly. It was quite clear how the PCs' styles differed and how that affected the action.

Bill Stoddard
Yeah, figured it would be pretty slick. That kind of thing was the reason I decided to switch to GURPS in the late 1990s (well, theoretically, anyhow, it seems that when I do get the chance to run something it's 2e AD&D, and sometimes in 3.0 D&D). And, I am verily much so looking forward to the eventual release of Low Tech as well...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
And, I am verily much so looking forward to the eventual release of Low Tech as well...
So are all the authors, I promise you. I just finished off the chapter on low-tech information technologies earlier today; next I have to finish the introduction and then start serious work on transportation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Buzzardo

Keep after 'em, Bill!

I guarantee my group will buy 3 copies (and maybe 5), and that's not counting PDF versions. We're at that awkward stage of moving to electronic publications, so some of us are still buying both printed and electronic copies.

Low Tech is one of our favorites.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
So are all the authors, I promise you. I just finished off the chapter on low-tech information technologies earlier today;
... Is the 5 1/4" Floppy disk considered TL 3? Or TL4? :)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
... Is the 5 1/4" Floppy disk considered TL 3? Or TL4? :)
No, I think that's classified as weaponry under "shuriken." ;)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low tech