Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #81
pyratejohn

Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
IIRC the latest 'Ships PDF came out recently, and includes rules for building sailing ships (water lines + sails + oars + flat top deck). Compatibility?
I've been quite busy lately with a paper, so I've only paid a bit of attention to what's been going on around here. What's this "'Ships PDF" mentioned above?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #82
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
I've been quite busy lately with a paper, so I've only paid a bit of attention to what's been going on around here. What's this "'Ships PDF" mentioned above?
I think Molokh means Spaceships 7.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #83
pyratejohn

Well whaddya know! A quick look at the index shows...
"Nautical lines feature, 21, 25"
"Sails, smaller, 4; systems, 17"
Cool!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #84
joncarryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Galleys are not practical for the Atlantic Ocean, no.
Which is not to say they didn't go there. Weren't the Phoenicians trading tin from Cornwall since way back?

Quote:
Anglo-Saxon ships of that period would be very similar to Viking ones. As for the Franks, I confess that I have no specific knowledge of them, but would expect their vessels to have more in common with Viking vessels than Mediterranean ones.
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured from what I was able to find myself. So I guess I use the same kinds of stats as for the Norse ships, just not quite as well made.
joncarryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #85
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajdi View Post
Just a weird question from left field: what is the effect of sea-growth on the ship's bottom? Say. . . ship's owner/master has neglected to careen and scrape the bottom.
Perhaps a touch late in response to this question, but one set of wargame rules suggests that ships could lose as much as 20 to 25% of their speed if they are heavily infested with barnacles and such. If I recall, the rules also suggested that careening had to be done every 4 to 6 months. How accurate this is, I can't say :(

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11

Last edited by hal; 09-26-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: How I typed 60 for months, I'll never know!
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #86
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Perhaps a touch late in response to this question, but one set of wargame rules suggests that ships could lose as much as 20to 25% of their speed if they are heavily infested with barnacles and such. If I recall, the rules also suggested that careening had to be done every 4 to 60 months. How accurate this is, I can't say :(
Might want to check G:Swashbucklers.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #87
Mgellis

Quote:
Galleys are not practical for the Atlantic Ocean, no.

Anglo-Saxon ships of that period would be very similar to Viking ones. As for the Franks, I confess that I have no specific knowledge of them, but would expect their vessels to have more in common with Viking vessels than Mediterranean ones.
So, Icelander, when are you submitting the complete draft of this to e23? :) You know people would buy it.

Oh, by the way, I feel a little closer to you because one of my friends is hosting a young lady from Iceland this year as an exchange student at my daughter's high school. She and my daughter are actually hanging out a bit, going to the mall together and that sort of thing. Nice girl. I think her first name is Ino or Aino--just on the extreme off chance you know her family--I don't know her last name.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #88
SionEwig

Quote:
Perhaps a touch late in response to this question, but one set of wargame rules suggests that ships could lose as much as 20to 25% of their speed if they are heavily infested with barnacles and such. If I recall, the rules also suggested that careening had to be done every 4 to 60 months. How accurate this is, I can't say :(
This is probably fairly accurate. I've done a fair bit of sailing and after we've had the hull cleaned (or when we've done it) there is a noticable improvement in performance. People I know who've done circumnavigations clean their hulls once or twice a year, and that's with having specialized paints and coatings to prevent such problems.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #89
pyratejohn

Quote:
Perhaps a touch late in response to this question, but one set of wargame rules suggests that ships could lose as much as 20 to 25% of their speed if they are heavily infested with barnacles and such. If I recall, the rules also suggested that careening had to be done every 4 to 6 months. How accurate this is, I can't say :(
From what I've read this is fairly accurate. Of course, growth rates vary by location, so a ship in tropical waters will need more frequent cleaning than one in cold waters. Based on my conversation this weekend with one of the sailors on the Dove, I believe a ship in the mid-latitudes would be best served with a bi-annual maintenance. He told us that, even with modern anti-fouling paint, they do a yearly dry-docking. He added that there was one year that they decided to skip the annual $4,000 maintenance, and the next year they had $40,000 worth of hull repairs.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #90
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Nice girl. I think her first name is Ino or Aino--just on the extreme off chance you know her family--I don't know her last name.
Those are not Icelandic names...

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships