Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: Can we talk about the Mnoren?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Yeah, let's start with pronunciation.
MIN-OR-EN here, with the first vowel elided as much as possible so that the M and N run together. Bit of an Ikea name, that. Or Lovecraftian (ref. mnar stones). ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
guymc

The last time I met a Mnoren I asked this very question. "How do you pronounce the name of your people?"

He looked at me like I was a bug and finally said. "It rhymes with 'Harvey'."

Then he snickered a little, so I'm not sure if he was putting me on, or what.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Yeah, let's start with pronunciation.
The English convention for an initial "mn" is to treat the 'm' as silent, e.g. "mnemonic" or "Mnemosyne". So, "NO-ren". (You could also go for "NOR-en", "no-REN", or "nor-EN" while still keeping that silent M rule by moving the syllable break and stress around. But those would be less common in Greek pronunciation.)

Of course, those examples are based on Greek and not Mnoren, and the Mnoren might well do things their own way. It could be pronounced "Throatwarbler-Mangrove".

Or, more menacingly... "Proot!" All this time, who knew?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Of course, those examples are based on Greek and not Mnoren, and the Mnoren might well do things their own way. It could be pronounced "Throatwarbler-Mangrove".
No no no. Throatwarbler-MangroveIs spelled "Luxury yacht".
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #15
ak_aramis

I've known enough africans to know that m is a semi-vowel. (n, v, z and ž as well) All three are voiced, and thus can be held as if a vowel. Hold it as a one beat vowel, rather than the partial-beat usually used as a consonant.

m-nor-en is how I say it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #16
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I've known enough africans to know that m is a semi-vowel. (n, v, z and ž as well) All three are voiced, and thus can be held as if a vowel. Hold it as a one beat vowel, rather than the partial-beat usually used as a consonant.

m-nor-en is how I say it.
I pronounce it like in "somnambulist" or "condemnation" but without the "so" or "conde". I.e. stick a vowel in front to practice, like "omnoren".
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #17
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I find the Mnoren reminiscent of the Amberites from Roger Zelazny's Amber novels. They move between worlds like Amberites, though they don't seem to have quite the same level of world-shaping abilities. The Mnoren are a great mechanism for justifying why any number of otherwise anomalous things might be found on Cidri. They existed in my campaign, but as rumour and legend, with the players never encountering anyone with first-hand experience with them.
I did not think the Amberites were like the Mnorens. The description by SJ said they used magic and tech in equal shares of a level players could only dream about. Amberites had a dislike of tech because they thought it was unreliable.

Maybe I remember these points wrong. At my age, it happens.

As for using Mnoren in campaigns, I did the same as you. They left toys around if you could find them. But never gave players a chance to meeting one.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #18
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I did not think the Amberites were like the Mnorens. The description by SJ said they used magic and tech in equal shares of a level players could only dream about. Amberites had a dislike of tech because they thought it was unreliable.

It actually was unreliable. Gunpowder demonstrably didn't work in Amber itself, or its near surrounds.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #19
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post

As for using Mnoren in campaigns, I did the same as you. They left toys around if you could find them. But never gave players a chance to meeting one.
Yeah, I agree not exactly Amberites - the Lords from the World of Tiers are a better match... altho Zelazny says he was inspired by World of Tiers and dedicated one of the books to Jadawin and Kikacha from World of Tiers...so it's not too far off. The Lords used tech that seemed magical to make their own fantastic private worlds...and were jaded, decadent and paranoid.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #20
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
No no no. Throatwarbler-Mangrove is spelled "Luxury yacht".
You've got me there.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote