Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
zot

Default Resisting Fear (dump stats and 3/L, 3/M, 3/H saving throws)

I don't think IQ should represent courage (for resisting a ghost) or will power (for resisting control or possession). There should be a better way to let more experienced characters generally do better than less experienced characters. I'm starting with Rick Smith's idea here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Kirk, everyone.
I totally agree. In my campaign I rewrote most of the dangerous thrown spells so that they give a saving throw. (For example, if someone casts a Sleep on you, you get a 4vs(your lowest attribute) to resist the spell.

Sleep still works fine on mooks, but wizards are a bit less likely to cast it on bosses or PC's, since they have a decent chance to make the save.
I really like this idea. I'm calling it a "3/L saving throw", 3 dice against your lowest attribute. 3/L is a decent way to estimate how "well rounded" a character is and it's an Achilles heel for characters with a dump stat (4/L and 5/L are also possible but I figured writing X/L would make less sense, so I picked "3" :) ).

There could also be 3/M (middle attribute) and 3/H (highest attribute) saving throws.

Would the middle attribute be a decent representation of general experience? If so, it could be used for resisting fear, control, etc. I'm thinking that the middle attribute will usually range from 12 to 16, making it a good target for a 3-die saving throw.

I'd like to use 3/L rolls, like Rick is using for resisting Sleep, but I'm also torn about using them. With only 8 points to go around, now, won't most characters tend to have one stat as close to 8 as the player can manage?

On the other hand, is this maybe an area where characters with "balanced" attributes should shine?

I'm thinking this type of saving throw would be good for things that challenge a character's "strength of character" or "strength of experience", where characters with lower IQ shouldn't be more susceptible than ones higher IQ.

Some examples:
  • Courage: resisting fear of a ghost
  • Will power: resisting Control Person, Geas, Possession, Word of Command, Basilisk gaze
  • Wisdom: saving roll against leaving 90% of your money behind when fleeing the country (see Taxes, Banks, etc.)
  • Asking for a raise: maybe 4/H makes more sense than 3/IQ because it would highest attribute plays to the strengths of the character and that's usually in line with what they're getting paid for (or 3/L if the job is really a bad fit).

Another possibility might be 3/EP, using 10 + earned attribute points. A 32-point character would have a 10 and a 40-point character would have an 18. The only problem with this is that I think it will have less variation than 3/M or 3/H (but probably more variation than 3/L).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Resisting Fear (dump stats and 3/L, 3/M, 3/H saving throws)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
I don't think IQ should represent courage (for resisting a ghost) or will power (for resisting control or possession). There should be a better way to let more experienced characters generally do better than less experienced characters. I'm starting with Rick Smith's idea here: ...
Hi Zot,
I think that it is useful nomenclature to use you 3vsL (lowest attribute), 3vsM (middle attribute) and 3vsH (highest attribute). If those rolls are going to be common in TFT, then 4vs 'one letter' is much tidier than the rather long write ups that I have to use.

For a while when I was writing horror rules in TFT, I struggled with, "Smart guys make fear checks". Eventually, I went with the Personality Values on page 7 of ItL. Bravery runs from 2 to 12, and I have horror rolls made against Bravery (Bv).

If a priest in in the party everyone gets a +1 Bv, and if a Theologian is in the party everyone gets an extra +2 Bv. If you are a Priest or Theologian you get an extra +1 or +2 for yourself. (These are all cumulative, so if a Theologian with a Bv of 9 (fairly brave), was in the party, the whole party gets a +3 and the theologian him or herself gets a +5 Bv. A 3vsBv when the adjusted Bv is 14 is pretty easy.)

Everyday, ordinary, fear checks are 2vsBv. Really bad ones are 3vsBv. Missing a roll typically does 2 or 3 points of 'fear damage'. When your adjusted Bv is below half all future fear checks are at -1. When your adjusted Bv is at zero, you are on the ragged edge of panic and you are at -3 Bv (permanent negatives). The next blown fear roll panics you, and a panicked person is vulnerable to possession, control and losing battle of wills.

If you are safe, calm and in a comforting place you get 1 Bv damage back per 15 minutes. As long as you are not being scared, you get 1 Bv damage back per hour (say while still on an adventure).

Likely too complex for new TFT, but it serves my purposes well enough.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:37 AM   #3
zot

Default Re: Resisting Fear (dump stats and 3/L, 3/M, 3/H saving throws)

Using 3/M (X/M) rolls to represent "life experience and general capabilities" for will power, convincing or tricking people (smart people can be just as gullible as people who aren't as smart) fear, etc., it might be good to add the number of additional attribute points to it (over 32). That changes the range from 8-18 to 8-26, which makes it closer to a real attribute.

So M would be the middle attribute + additional attribute points past 32
zot is offline   Reply With Quote