Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Character Collections for TFT - on Kickstarter Feb 19 to Mar 9

Character Collections: Final Hours

After funding in only nine hours, the Character Collections project is entering it's final two days. We passed the first stretch goal very quickly, and are rapidly closing in on the second at 500 backers.

The first three books are frighteningly close to done already. I've made the inside covers the repository for "print-your own" counter sheets, so that no one has to buy something separately to have the ability to print counters. I have to go and put some labels on them, to make them easier to use on the battle-mat, and a few can use a bit of line-work to make sure they're clear at 25mm x 25mm scale.

We're closing in on 500 backers, at which point we add Character Collections 4: Wizards to the roster of books. So if you're in at the PDF only levels, you get four books instead of three.

And if you're in at the new Print+PDF levels...you ALSO get the Wizards book along with your pledge for no extra charge. That was a late-breaking addition.

Pledge Levels Added

In case you missed them, I went back and added some Print + PDF pledge levels, as well as an All the New Things and an Everything Old and New pledge.

Note that All the New Things includes counters...and as of this moment, the CE-Mark requirement for import means I can't offer them. I'm going to work like crazy to fix that in the coming week. I have some names and companies that are going to be hearing from me tomorrow.

All of these new pledge levels "grow" as the stretch goals are unlocked. If we pull a Minnesota Miracle and unlock the last two books, then both print and PDFs are added to those pledges, and the decks and counters are added to the All the New Things and Everything Old and New.

Please Spread the Word

As the campaign closes, it's still not too late to impact the outcome. Sharing the link for the campaign, or this update, on Twitter, Facebook, RPG.net, Reddit, or any other platform of which you're a part can make a big difference. As my swimming coach used to say: "You pull even harder at the end!"

And then we'll take a breather, and I'll get the Backerkit surveys ready. That's when you can choose any a la carte items you want, upgrade your pledge level if you like, and shipping (and VAT for customers outside the USA) charges are assessed. In a real way, that's where the real decisions are made, so look for that survey and fill it out quickly!

Finally, the PDF portion of this campaign is going to happen very quickly. So you won't be waiting long.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #12
DouglasCole

If you missed the Character Collections campaign, it's not too late:

Pre-Orders for Character Collections are Open

There are four new books, plus associated cards and counters if you have all of my old stuff. If you missed out on the Five Perilous Journeys cards or want Black and White versions of the 5PJ counters...those are available as add-ons. If you want 14 books, 14 sheets of counters, and eight Decks of Destiny style card packs (with something like 300 cards?) you can get that too. You can even store the counters in a spiffy box!

If you missed the campaign, don't like the uncertainty of crowd-funding, or are a retailer and don't wish to commit funds with such a long lag before you have items to sell...check it out!
Old 03-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
DouglasCole

Character Collection PDFs have been Distributed

As was foretold in the days of yore, 2,880 long minutes ago, orders for those with completed surveys have been locked, and cards charged.

I also sent out PDFs for everything ordered to date.

If you're one of the fewer than three dozen people who have yet to complete your survey, you'll get your PDFs more or less as soon as you do (I might have to manually send them, but I'll be checking regularly so there won't be much of a delay there).

Errata

Now that the files have gone out, there are something like 550 more pairs of eyes (give or take) on the books. This gives all sorts of possibilities for finding errors I and the preview team missed.

Find one? Great. Submit them here. ONLY submit them here. If you do not submit them here, they will not get the attention they deserve. PLEASE.

However, not everything qualifies as an error.

What does?
  • Clarity or Wording: This is really for things that are truly baffling. "Could be better" or "I prefer it another way" are not errata. "I have no idea what this means" is. Grammar mistakes that are not related to deliberate style choices go here too.
  • Formatting Error: A lead-in title is not bolded. A spell or talent name that's not in a list of such things is not bolded. A title is not formatted as a title. Movement not giving Base (Adjusted) MA (such as MA 8 instead of MA 10 (8) for someone with Leather Armor).
  • Rules Mistake: Misapplication of the enchantment rules. Giving someone a steel sword when they're a wizard who expects to cast spells. The wrong
  • Trait, Ability, or Stat error: Things like "this Talent requires IQ 13 or DX 12 and the character doesn't have that" is an out-and-out mistake. "More Talents than IQ allows" is NOT a mistake, as you can do such things with experience. PLEASE make sure you double-check your own work before you jump on these, remembering some IQ/Talent combinations give free languages, etc. Also not a mistake is "I don't like this talent combination" or "this is not an optimized combat monster." That wasn't the point of the books!
  • Typographical Error: Spellng. Lettre transposition in teh middle of a sentence. Double periods qualify..
  • Other: Catch-all.

PLEASE note that "I would have done this differently" is not errata.

Timing

Now that order quantities have been more or less settled, it's time for me to begin the manufacturing process.
  • Counter manufacturing will begin right away. I'm going to start preparing these sheets today.
  • Book finalization: I'm going to allow 7-10 days for errata checking. Then I'll finalize the books, update the tag date, distribute final copies. At that point, I'll also start listing PDFs for sale and begin printing orders in the USA and the UK.
  • Card Printing: Once the books are done, I transfer that information to cards, ensuring that the fidelity from book to card is perfect.
  • Once the cards and counters start to roll off the production line, samples will be diverted for EN71 testing in various places. I expect that to take a few weeks. Hopefully no problems, but if there are, I'll let you know. It only impacts not-the-USA distribution.

As I understand precise fulfillment dates, I'll let you know!

Pre-Orders Still Open/Saying Nice Things

I'm only viable if my customer base believes in me. If you like the books, I would take it as a kindness if you say nice things about them in places people will see. Facebook. Twitter. Various RPG sites and forums. It all helps.

Thanks! We're not done yet...but this is (as a guy in an Alliance-Friendly bar on U-Day once said) "an aspicious day."
Old 03-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
DouglasCole

Progress

Update on moving from PDF stage to physical stage.

Backerkit
We're down to 17 people who have yet to fill out surveys; a partial handful of those are "No Reward" or "Follow the Campaign" backers who will never do so, as well. So we're about 97 practical completion here. PDF rewards have gone out, and I've received about a dozen errata reports that I'll be looking into in a few days.

Counters
I've also been working on templates for the counters. I was really worried that this would be a problem...but Affinity Publisher to the rescue. I think I'll be finishing the CC4 sheet today, just having to put more labels on the counters, and ensure that I understand how things get printed so that they work. Even so, I feel I have a solid way of organizing these for relatively easy output...and the labels that I need should be able to be printed right on the cardboard.

Today I expect to hear from my testing lab about what additional labels are required.

But basically, today will be a "replication day." Go through CC2 and CC3, then the five sheets of counters for each of 5PJ and MPJ.

Once labeling and layout are done, I'll kick off manufacturing. I think I'll be ordering 125 sets of these things each.

Books
The first thing is a right-away thing: How many copies of old volumes do I need, and do I have them on hand? If I've got them, that's that. If not, I can bring them in from storage, and I'll kick that off now. The only one I might NOT have seems to be Vampire Hunter Belladonna...but I only need 40-42 of the highest volume older books. I know I've got most of that. I also need a new on-hand report from my UK fulfillment company. As long as I have 2 books of the older stuff...I'm safe.

Once the counters are done, I'll process errata on the books. Then output new versions for both PDF and output finals for print, and get the three new books printing (I've got more than sufficient stock on hand for CC1).

Cards
The last step is cards. Taking the information from the More Perilous Journeys books and turning them into decks will be the longest part of that. The books I planned ahead. But I can kick off what I need there, and grouping things properly simplifies the process.

Testing
Somewhere in all this I pull out samples for testing. I should find out more about that soon.

Schedule
A good question. I hope to have the counters into manufacturing by the end of the week, the books ordered by the beginning of next week, and the cards finalized and ordered by the end of the following week. Hopefully that means - even with delays - all manufacturing will be underway by mid-April, and everything will be in-hand and staged for fulfillment by mid-May. Then pack and ship. So mid-June is the target "all done" date at this point. That's rather better than October (original "PDF in hand" date was June).