Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Aman

Default Options, p.6 [i.e. Move & Combat Actions]

It says in Melee on p.6 that a player may change his mind about a figure's Option as long as:
- that figure hasn't acted, and
- that figure did not move too far to allow it to take the new Option.

For me, if there's 1-2 fighters per side, I can probably track it in my head. I'm playing with my 10yo son and I really have to track both sides. Overall, it seems to me like the most important aspect of the move phase was how far the figure moved, as that dictates the Options you may choose from when it is that fig's Combat opportunity. As you can change your mind, you really didn't pick an OPTION, you really picked a move distance, which THEN limits your Option selection when it is the turn of that figure to act in Combat.

So hard to write out, but so simple to see!

In any event, assuming this is correct, I put together a QRS that has the turn sequence Options listed in order of Movement Rates, which boil down to quite a few, actually: Full Move, 1/2 Move, 2 Hexes, 1 Hex and No Move.

I also shaded the less needed Options in Gray so that the more common ones stand out a bit. this is mainly to help my son with the rules.

I'd like to offer it humbly to this community to see what you think and if it can be improved. Or just save you the time doing it yourself. BUT, the little box below says I am not allowed to make attachments. Ergo, I am posting it below, unfortunately without colors, formatting, etc.

If there's a way to offer it unchanged thru a moderator, pls LMK and I'll fork it over. Meanwhile, thanks in advance for suggestions.

THE FANTASY TRIP: MELEE – QRS

Scale: Each hex is about 3-4’ / 1y. A Megahex is about 10’ / 3y. A turn is about 5 seconds.
Turn Sequence: Events are all sequential, not simultaneous!
1) Initiative. All players roll [IN] for their SIDE. Re-roll ties. Winner chooses to move first or last.
2) Movement, P1. Player[s] moving first choose an Option for each figure, executing the Move part.
Options if Disengaged [your figure is not in the Front hex of an enemy figure]:
a. FM. Move up to full Move Allowance [MA], p.8, but no Combat.
b. ˝M. Charge Attack by Moving up to ˝MA, then Attacking in Phase 4.
c. ˝M. Dodge Move up to ˝MA, p.20.
d. ˝M. Drop to prone position after Moving up to ˝MA.
e. 2H. Ready Weapon by Moving up to 2 hexes then sling / exchange / pick up a weapon.
f. 2H. Missile Weapon shoot; may Move 1 hex and/or Drop to prone/kneel, and / or shoot.
g.2. 2H. Crawl up to 2 hexes while remaining Prone.
h. 1H. Cast Spell after Move of up to 1 hex [if using Wizard].
i. 1H. Disbelieve an illusion figure after moving up to 1 hex [if using Wizard].
g.1. NM. Stand Up from Prone, Kneeling or knocked-down at end of Combat Phase; No MA.
Options if Engaged [your figure is in the Front hex of an enemy figure]:
j. 1H. Attack. Shift up to 1 hex, then Attack with a hand weapon.
k. 1H. Defend. Shift up to 1 hex then defend v. an attack, p.20, attacker rolls 4 dice.
m. 1H. Change Weapon. Shift up to 1 hex, Drop held weapon, then Ready new hand weapon.
n. 1H. Disengage. Shift up to 1 hex; Disengage during Combat Phase, 4) below.
o. 1H. Hand to Hand [H2H] Attempt. May Shift up to 1 hex, then attempt H2H in Combat Phase.
r. 1H. Cast Spell. Shift up to 1 hex then attempt a spell.
s. 1H. Disbelieve as per i. above.
l. NM. One Last-Shot by Missile Weapon if had it ready before becoming Engaged; No MA.
p. NM. Stand Up as per g.1 above.
q. NM. Pick Up Weapon from your own or adjacent hex; may drop held weapon first; No MA.
3) Movement, P2. Player moving last chooses option for each figure, executing the Move part.
4) Combat. Attack in order of adjusted DX if you chose an option with “Attack” in it. Tie goes to highest original DX then dice-off. Second arrow Shots go last [by adjusted DX].
a. Disengage now from Front hex of enemy figs by moving 1 hex in lieu of Attack.
5) Force Retreats of 1 hex if figure inflicted Hits with a hand weapon and took no Hits itself. The forcing figure may advance 1 hex into the vacated hex if desired.
Place all thrown, dropped, Prone markers, or flip dead figures over, as they occur.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Options, p.6 [i.e. Move & Combat Actions]

Yes, you are correct that is how it works. Really during movement you just move and remember how far you moved, and if you've moved 1/2 MA or less, you reserve your choice of Option/action until you see what develops during the turn, unless you think you know already and want to commit to an option during movement for some reason.

To post a file, I'd suggest you post it to a site that allows files, and then post a link to the file here.

The content mainly looks about right, except:

* Missile weapon fire is possible after moving 1 hex, not 2.

* Disengaged figures can also attempt HTH during movement if they can reach the hex of a legal HTH target using 1/2 MA without getting disengaged.

* Defend is listed as an Engaged option but probably shouldn't really require being Engaged, to allow defense against longer-reach weapons such as polearms.

* Defend does now show a 1 hex movement requirement, but this is a ... change from original TFT, which allowed it after 1/2 MA. Original TFT also allowed Dodge when engaged.

* The new rules also have action sequence for equal-adjDX figures resolved by the original initiative roll, rather than roll-offs. (There are some issues with that though, so personally I prefer the original rule as you list it.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #3
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
Overall, it seems to me like the most important aspect of the move phase was how far the figure moved, as that dictates the Options you may choose from when it is that fig's Combat opportunity. As you can change your mind, you really didn't pick an OPTION, you really picked a move distance, which THEN limits your Option selection when it is the turn of that figure to act in Combat.
Hi Aman! Your observation that it's really movement and not engagement status that matters is correct.

In fact for the Advanced Melee manual published in the early 80's, SJ reworked the Options Table as sorted by distance moved. A lot of us preferred it that way too. It seemed like an improvement, despite a few typos, but for the Legacy Editions SJ reverted to the older format based on engagement status. Between original Melee, original Wizard, then reprints of those, then Advanced Melee, original ITL, Legacy Melee and Wizard, and Legacy ITL, there are many, many versions of the Options Table, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and some inconsistencies from one to the other. Despite all those versions the options rules themselves never changed, except for the addition of the 2-hex jab and the reworked bonuses for pole-arms in Charge Attacks.

I took a stab at sorting all that out, combining them all into one using what I thought the best text of each option, and adding back what seemed the best of the earlier versions into the Legacy version.

And the revelation I once had, which I applied to my version of the list, is that options are actually classifiable into 3 categories: (1) What's available to Disengaged figures only, (2) What's available while in HTH combat only, and (3) everything else. The latter are all the options available whether you're engaged or not. Making them their own category meant there was no longer a need to duplicate these options in two different parts of the table. Unfortunately resorting them also meant renumbering them too.

Anyway, that table can be viewed here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...27#post2284227

While it's in a different presentation format than the official Options Table, I believe it is 100% in keeping with the current RAW -- no house rules added.

It ends with the "lost paragraph" that only appeared in 1st edition Wizard, where SJ gives his most elegant explanations of changing options, as well as clarifying how Dodge and Defend both work. I wish they'd put that paragraph back in every current edition.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
Aman

very interesting, Steve, thanks for the reply, I will check out you stuff!
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Senturian

A green slime is on a Character in a hex filled with fire from a spell cast by a nearby wizard on the previous turn.
At what point during the turn is the double damage applied to the slime?
before or after it attacks?
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
hcobb

ITL 140: Fire puts 2 hits on anything passing through, or any figure in the hex when the fire appears. It puts 4 hits on anything ending its move in the hex.

Green Slime does damage when it's turn to act comes.

So a figure that runs through one fire hex, then turns around reenters that hex and stops does 12 points of damage to the Green Slime on them before they take slime damage that turn.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
Chris Rice

I use coloured counters to track movement status, one colour for each of:

Moved over half (no action permitted)
Moved up to half (limited action)
Moved zero or one hex only.

These can be placed directly on the counters, or if using miniatures on the cards.

This way it's easy to track who can do what even in a large Melee.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote