Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #21
Shadekeep

Default Re: Colorblind friendly Tollenkar Map?

I built out the Tollenkar map in Shamat as one of my first proofs of concept. I did a quick test yesterday of peeling the layers out, and there is a LOT of whitespace in each individual level. So yeah, I can see why they did the layered map originally. It is a design conceit that does rather force one to minimise overlap between levels and such, and really isn't suited except in special cases like this one. But it's a pretty clever solution nonetheless.

I'm curious now as to how many of the colours in Shamat are not distinguishable to colourblind folks. (And yes, I know there are several varieties of that condition, each with different issues with particular colour groups.) I'd like to revisit those colours to a more optimal set that everyone can use, if possible.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
larsdangly

I don't think of this as an oversight or mistake; it' more like an atavism that is part of the general approach the Legacy Edition took (reproducing the original, other than a few modest tweaks and additions). It was weird in 1980 too, but everyone was a lot more accepting of weirdness back then.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
krakajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think of this as an oversight or mistake; it' more like an atavism that is part of the general approach the Legacy Edition took (reproducing the original, other than a few modest tweaks and additions). It was weird in 1980 too, but everyone was a lot more accepting of weirdness back then.
That doesn't make it not an oversight. I doubt the people at Steve Jackson games would have issues making a "modest tweak" to their chosen color palette while they were updating the map if they knew it would render it more playable to more people in their audience.

The map is a tool for people to play with, not some artifact they are preserving. There are people in this thread who cannot read the map. I would give SJ Games the benefit of the doubt that this is an unintended consequence, rather than believe SJ games was aware and actively chose to exclude people in their audience from playing easily.

Last edited by krakajak; 04-09-2019 at 10:48 AM.
krakajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #24
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakajak View Post
I would give SJ Games the benefit of the doubt that this is an unintended consequence, rather than believe SJ games was aware and actively chose to exclude people in their audience from playing.
There is nothing in the history of SJ Games to indicate they would ever choose such a course.

Honestly, I believe I am somewhat to blame for the new Tollenkar map. I created a version of it in Shamat which was colour-coded and shared it with Steve, and it appears that it might have influenced the design of the final map. I neglected to account for colour-blindness when designing Shamat's palette, and very probably SJ Games didn't either when producing their version. That's why I'm asking for input on the current colours and recommendations to make the application more friendly.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #25
hcobb

Not just colors, but also design elements that help here.

https://www.usability.gov/get-involv...blindness.html
Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
krakajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
That's why I'm asking for input on the current colours and recommendations to make the application more friendly.
First, as a note: I am not a colorblind person. For best results, I would pass your product to a colorblind person and ask them for feedback if possible.

That being said, here is a good resource for color palettes (and their RGB codes):

https://personal.sron.nl/~pault/

It's not my website, but the suggested color schemes are solid aesthetically and colorblind friendly.

I also like this chart:

http://www.somersault1824.com/wp-con...ss-palette.png

It shows you approximately what the results will be be to a colorblind user.
krakajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
Shadekeep

Further resources:

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/colorblind/

http://www.colororacle.org/

http://colorbrewer2.org

I'll probably use a combination of these to update my palette.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
Skarg

Great resources!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #29
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think of this as an oversight or mistake; it' more like an atavism that is part of the general approach the Legacy Edition took.
The choice of color palette isn't an atavism, since the original was B&W, it's just an oversight.

Incidentally, there are probably other graphical tricks that could be used to make this more readable. For example, standard faux-3d would be to identify wall lines, and give them a bit of width, with the width (and color) depending on angle and depth in the map.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
Barantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakajak View Post
I'm not colorblind, but I immediately saw that map as a huge oversight (I work in videogames, and accessibility is a big focus of mine). I saw it during the kickstarter too and I didn't think to bring it up:/ If you have access to the pdfs, maybe you can do a grayscale print/image? Don't know how close those colors are when converted to grayscale though

With Steve Jackson Games permission, I would be happy to try to do a paint-bucket edit of the map in more colorblind friendly colors and post it.
I hope they allow it as it would definitely help not only myself but anyone else with color vision issues.
Barantor is offline   Reply With Quote