Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: fatigue (after combat)

I know it's more realistic, Skarg, but it's also too fiddly (this is my personal opinion, ONLY, so take it for what it's worth to you). I like TFT because it's fast and doesn't deal with the details except in a general way. Tracking all this extra stuff is more work than it adds in play value, in my honest opinion.

That's not to say you are doing "badthink" for proposing the ideas, just that I wouldn't use them since it's too much in the way of bookkeeping for me.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I know it's more realistic, Skarg, but it's also too fiddly (this is my personal opinion, ONLY, so take it for what it's worth to you). I like TFT because it's fast and doesn't deal with the details except in a general way. Tracking all this extra stuff is more work than it adds in play value, in my honest opinion.

That's not to say you are doing "badthink" for proposing the ideas, just that I wouldn't use them since it's too much in the way of bookkeeping for me.
That's why I mentioned at the end that you'd probably just want to GM estimate it from memory rather than record the number of attacks.

I always prefer to think of what a rule should be to be realistic, before trying to find an acceptable-easy shortcut for what it should be.

i.e., you could take what seems to be an average number of turns of actual fighting to you, calculate that once, and then have your guideline be everyone who fights gets that much fatigue, and just GM adjust it up or down a bit if you notice someone did unusually more or less.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
ecz

yes, RAW means Rules As Written, sorry if it was unclear.

my experience in combat with a party of 4/5 PCs and a reasonable number of opponents, says that an average battle lasts more than five turns, and usually less than 10 rounds. but exceptions are quite possible.

We played without any additional bookeeping for fatigue for years, but then we gradually started to consider it as an important factor. And it was not a traumatic experience.

But consider that most of us had a certain knowledge and past background of other RPGs like RQ, thus we loved these little additions.