Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #61
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: the "outrageous attribute" problem

SKARG - Our current TFT:ITL Experience Point Award Rules for Combat is one paragraph in length.

I think that is important.

While you have some very sound and worthy concepts included throughout, I was expecting something more along the lines of an actual mathematical formula; simply stated as a variable equation, which would quickly reveal a ratio multiplier with which to equalize the relative value of unequal combatants.

Illustrating: If 'A' is valued at 125% of 'B'; and, if 'A' wins the combat, his award is adjusted downward to 80% of the total EP value of 'B'; whereas, if 'B' wins the combat, his award is adjusted upwards to 125% of the total EP value of 'A' - Or something along these basic lines.

HOWEVER, I think many of your ideas of more than worthy of exploration and discussion, but let us look at a few things first - IF you really want to explore this, that is - and the VERY FIRST QUESTION I would want us to answer is:

The current TFT Experience Point Rules for Combat DO NOT account for IQ; therefore, a ST-12 DX-12 IQ-8 Fighter, and a ST-12 DX-12 IQ-12 Fighter - who are NOT equal IF the IQ-12 Fighter is loaded with Combat Talents - and a ST-12 DX-12 IQ-20 Wizard, are each still only worth 24 EPs dead either way.

Hmmm.

So, that is where I would want to begin the discussion of calibrating the EP Award for Combat: How will we conceptually answer the question of the IQ variable and it relative value for purposes of awarding Combat EP?

SKARG Do you agree we might be better off beginning by trying to answer this question first?

Let me know what you want to do. I am with you, if you want to run it down.

JK

PS - If we are going to tackle this thing, shouldn't we move it to it's own thread? I leave it to you.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-15-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Typos, Typos, and yet more Typos
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #62
Skarg

Default Re: the "outrageous attribute" problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
PS - If we are going to tackle this thing, shouldn't we move it to it's own thread? I leave it to you.
Yes. I created a new thread for it and will reply to your last post there.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote