Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #51
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Caberet Chicks on Ice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Indeed, Low-Tech Companion 3 will have 500 words on the arts of brewing and distilling; stats for "brewer" as a low-tech job; and of course Professional Skill (Brewer) and Professional Skill (Distiller). Low-Tech will have 300 words on drinking and smoking, if all you want is costs and such. No low-cut, low-friction ice dancers, though – although there will be rules for two sorts of skates.
Wha? 4e nerfed brewers/distlers into needing two skills? Now they're as nerfed as Katana Lakotas!!!!!!111!one
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #52
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Wha? 4e nerfed brewers/distlers into needing two skills? Now they're as nerfed as Katana Lakotas!!!!!!111!one
LOL! There were three skills in 3e: Brewer, Distiller, and Vintner. We merged Brewer and Vintner into a single Brewer skill that covers fermentation, but left Distiller alone.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #53
RogerBW

Default Re: Cabaret Chicks on Ice?

Quote:
LOL! There were three skills in 3e: Brewer, Distiller, and Vintner. We merged Brewer and Vintner into a single Brewer skill that covers fermentation, but left Distiller alone.
What, you mean Brewer (Mead) and Brewer (Beer) are separate skills? This is far too coarse-grained for my Fermentation Master character, and a betrayal of everything GURPS stands for!

(Stomps off in a huff to buy D&D4 Manual of the Yeasts, plus the Crowned Capper splatbook)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
On a more serious note, I do remember a 'Brewing/Distling' skill from somewhere. Must be some fanbook.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #55
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post

What, you mean Brewer (Mead) and Brewer (Beer) are separate skills? This is far too coarse-grained for my Fermentation Master character, and a betrayal of everything GURPS stands for!
Have no fear! GURPS Low-Tech Companion 3 will include rules for familiarity with different stocks. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

On a more serious note, I do remember a 'Brewing/Distling' skill from somewhere. Must be some fanbook.
Doubtless true! Many rules remembered by fans of 3e weren't published content but house rules. Before I stopped counting, my tally of complaints about rules we supposedly "got rid of" between 3e and 4e had "half-remembered house rules that someone assumed were published somewhere" out ahead of "published, canonical 3e rules" by a factor of almost five. It's quite amazing . . . I've had people swear up and down that we published rules that demonstrably had no existence outside of an unofficial netbook, GURPSnet-L, or even rec.games.frp.gurps. I've even had people argue such things with me, somewhat ignoring the reality that I'm probably one of the few people who owns and has read the full collection of GURPS books published since the game's inception, and the only one paid to be the system's living memory. My fallibility is broad and complete in many areas, but "knowing what was published for GURPS" isn't one of them.

That said, there were also many half-baked, ill-conceived rules snuck into 1e, 2e, and 3e worldbooks by writers who weren't aware of existing rules that covered the same ground. Random Professional Skills were top offenders in this regard, with some early GURPS writers assuming they could invent these willy-nilly without checking canon. That's one of the headaches that led to the creation of the GURPS Line Editor post . . . prior to 1995, nobody was paid to be the institutional memory for the game!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post

(Stomps off in a huff to buy D&D4 Manual of the Yeasts, plus the Crowned Capper splatbook)
No, no:

Beer (Brewing), Tech/A, defaults to Brewing-2, max prereq
Mead (Brewing), Tech/A, defaults to Brewing-3, max prereq
Wine (Brewing), Tech/A, defaults to Brewing-3, max prereq
Champagne (Brewing), Tech/A, defaults to Brewing-4, max prereq

See? Everything will be just fine, although serious gamers may want to split the above even further, like:

Oatmeal Stout (Brewing), Tech/H, defaults to Brewing-4, max prereq, requires Brewing 15+
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #57
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Craft Secret Perks for brewing are also a good idea. Méthode Champenoise would actually be a CSP for the Brew White Wine technique for the Brewing skill, only available to those with Brew White Wine at full Brewing skill and Cultural Familiarity (France), prior to about 1825. And yeah, Brew White Wine and Brew Red Wine would be different techniques.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #58
tg_ambro

Quote:

Doubtless true! Many rules remembered by fans of 3e weren't published content but house rules. Before I stopped counting, my tally of complaints about rules we supposedly "got rid of" between 3e and 4e had "half-remembered house rules that someone assumed were published somewhere" out ahead of "published, canonical 3e rules" by a factor of almost five. It's quite amazing . . . I've had people swear up and down that we published 3e rules that I know as a fact had no existence outside of an unofficial netbook, GURPSnet-L, or even rec.games.frp.gurps.
That sounds like an annoying case of Source Amnesia, which is actually pretty common. I've had people repeat a story I told them years ago, except now they've added themself to it, or replaced me entirely!

This phenomena can even be exploited for sinister or accidental ends, (although sadly I lack the link demonstrating how this is true.) Let's say a news outlet runs the story "Dr. Kromm: World's greatest neurosurgeon?" Even if they correct that headline immediately in the story, people still hear that "Dr. Kromm = World's greatest neurosurgeon" which can be remembered as "fact" now. They can, after time, remember the "fact" but forget the story . . . so in other words, if through my repetitions of "Dr. Kromm is the world's greatest neurosurgeon" that someone posts in here that he is the World's greatest neurosurgeon, then I'll have done my job. ;-)

(As a side note, I'm very nervous, I feel I'll be corrected and then become the posterboy for Source Amnesia.)

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!

Last edited by tg_ambro; 08-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #59
Akicita

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
This phenomena can even be exploited for sinister or accidental ends, (although sadly I lack the link demonstrating how this is true.) Let's say a news outlet runs the story "Dr. Kromm: World's greatest neurosurgeon?" Even if they correct that headline immediately in the story, people still hear that "Dr. Kromm = World's greatest neurosurgeon" which can be remembered as "fact" now. They can, after time, remember the "fact" but forget the story . . . so in other words, if through my repetitions of "Dr. Kromm is the world's greatest neurosurgeon" that someone posts in here that he is the World's greatest neurosurgeon, then I'll have done my job. ;-)
Kromm is the world's greatest neurosurgeon? When did he surpass Chuck Norris? Surely Chuck remains the greatest anaesthesiologist, anyway.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #60
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW
What, you mean Brewer (Mead) and Brewer (Beer) are separate skills?
? Dunno how you got that from Kromm's post, but I am sure getting thirsty ;p

I never drink. mead.
<but I am willing to give it a try!>
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech