Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default Oppressive Fear

The current fear system in GURPS works very well for... shock, fright, the sudden surge of adrenaline that can stun you, make you loose your lunch, maybe knock you out, and if it's bad enough, **** up you're head. With Awe and Confusion it models a number of other ways that you can be suddenly braught to your knees.

But fright checks are per encounter. The Terror ability cannot affect the same target multiple times in within a given time frame and there are no modifiers to get past that besides cosmic. Inherent fright checks are also only when you first encounter it.

But what about... insidious oppressive fear? Many monsters (and Sith lords) generate this sort of oppressive, constant, low level fear that gradually wracks up stress and drives people mad, making it hard for them to think straight through the constant fear. Inflicting paranoia and self-serving survivalist instincts.

Amp it up and you've got oppressive weight of fear that tears away at your mind the way a boss's flame aura chips away at your hit points. How might you build such a power?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Oppressive Fear

See the special variation for fear from cosmic entities in GURPS Horror. It is pretty much exactly what your asking for.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
jason taylor

A variation might be a mundane version. Someone in continuous stress might have that. It could be an automatic for a fugitive for instance.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
(E)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=145344

One aspect of the fear, the stress might be covered by this mechanic.

It's to do with degrading the target's self control rolls. It could be built on. Reduced Will maybe?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
See the special variation for fear from cosmic entities in GURPS Horror. It is pretty much exactly what your asking for.
Is that in the section on Things Man Was Not Meant To Know? Or is it in the traits section?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Seneschal

I think Pyramid #84 Alternate GURPS IV (which I got for the rescaled ST article) had a "gradual possession" article using Technical Grappling rules. The same approach could be used to represent fear.

Last edited by Seneschal; 08-25-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Just use the Stress and Derangement rules, and have the aura directly inflict Stress?

Though if you need a point value that may be a problem.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Rigil_Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Where exactly is this? I was looking for it in GURPS: Horror and couldn't find it.

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Rigil_Kent

Follow-up: GURPS: Deadlands has the idea of "Fear Levels" (taken from the awesome Pinnacle game this was based on) which is split into 6 levels (0 being normal level and 6 being hell on earth.) In areas with Fear Levels greater than 0, everyone suffers a -1 (per level) to Fright Checks while Abominations gain a bonus to HT & Will checks equal to that same level. You might consider reviewing that to see if it will work for you...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #10
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Where exactly is this? I was looking for it in GURPS: Horror and couldn't find it.
Page 139-146

However I am specifically thinking of the stress and derangement from pg 141. I would see an oppressive fear giving stress/derangement points, but not causing fright checks until something activates it. The player/PC would be aware of there worsening mental state, knowing that once something does spook them they are going to crack like an egg, but the 'oppressive fear' does not actually CAUSE the fright check- their cat playfully pouncing at them when they get home leaves them catatonic in the corner for hours and forever unable to go out without catnip mice, which they throw through every door before crossing.

You could also use corruption with a custom disadvantage set, making sure that the corruption is spent on negative metal traits associated with cracking under pressure; but that may be a bit complex. Oppressive fear causes stress or derangement (depending on how long you want it to last), which will cause the fright checks that they DO deal with to be rolled at significant penalty, breaking the psyche in strange and terrible ways.

I don't know where the cost of having terror cause stress or derangement are, but if its for NPCs it should not matter.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote