Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-10-2022, 02:20 AM   #1
hcobb

Default The golden problem of Cidri

The jobs table is way off. Roman soldiers made 9 gold aureus a year (comparable to Cidri's gold coins), while an army regular in Cidri makes 375 gold coins a year. (Not counting living expenses in either case)
Make the jobs table (and cost of living) monthly, and have 25 silvers to the gold coin and you get an annual salary of 36 gold coins which is still very very high (fnording gold debasing greedy dwarves!), but not totally insane.

Starting gear is refactored down to $250 (10 gold coins).
Old 08-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: The golden problem of Cidri

Why should the economics of Earth's Rome be coin-for-coin comparable to Cidri? How much did the Romans pay for a short sword or weekly room and board costs?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
TippetsTX

I prefer a 100:1 silver-to-gold ratio.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
ravenfish

Apparently, all the dungeons full of treasure have provided gold to devalue the gold coin (compare the Price Revolution in early modern Europe when a substantial increase in the supply of gold led to increases in the amount of gold required to buy goods and labor- the gold had been looted from Aztecs rather than from undead, but the principle is the same).
Old 08-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
hcobb

What is the source of all this inflationary precious metals?
  1. Dwarves mine gold with their superhuman mining abilities.
  2. Dragons pick up the gold pieces one at time in their claws and fly them off to their lairs.
  3. Humans shoot the dragons with crossbows and seize the gold. (Dwarves try to do this, but first they haven't got any trees to build crossbows with and second they can't hit a target the size of barn.)
  4. Dwarves ask for the gold back, but the humans have already melted it down into new coins with the names of human kings on it, so no dice.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What is the source of all this inflationary precious metals?
  1. Humans shoot the dragons with crossbows and seize the gold. (Dwarves try to do this, but first they haven't got any trees to build crossbows with and second they can't hit a target the size of barn.)
Who needs wood when you have spring steel?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Bill_in_IN

I thought that TFT based value of a silver piece to be $1 in the late 1970's. The table costs of items were loosely based upon that. I know that I read that somewhere either in Classic or Legacy ITL but I can't find it. Perhaps, it was explained in a subsequent publication. I have seen it discussed on either this forum or on Discord.

If this is the case, the cost and wages in TFT are OK. They are not really dependent upon any other time frame or specific period of Earth history.

I assumed that it was explained that way so that everyone could have a reference point for the value of a silver piece. Since that was established over 40 years ago and inflation in our real lives has marched on, it has been a hard reference to keep straight in our minds.

Per an inflation calculator at https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ , $1 in 1980 now requires $3.60 for the same buying power.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
hcobb

Silver Thursday in TFT: https://www.hcobb.com//tft/legacy_first.html#Thursday
Old 08-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
That's the reference.

I thought that I saw it in text elsewhere in the literature and not in this link. I may be mistaken on that.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
hcobb

I don't fault Evil Stevie for failing to write about the event before it happened. So it's a hindsight driven insight.