Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
JMason

Default How long to drop a backpack?

So, I've started a new Dungeon Fantasy campaign, and none of the characters got quick release backpacks. So, I went to lookup how long it takes to drop a small backpack and can't find it anywhere in Adventurers or Exploits.

I even check the GURPS DF books, and still didn't find it. Was this ever detailed out?

If there aren't any official rules I'm thinking that it only takes 1 turn to drop a small backpack with 2 free hands, 3 turns if something is held in one hand. Double these times for a frame backpack, and add an extra second to place the backpack down gently.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: How long to drop a backpack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
So, I've started a new Dungeon Fantasy campaign, and none of the characters got quick release backpacks. So, I went to lookup how long it takes to drop a small backpack and can't find it anywhere in Adventurers or Exploits.

I even check the GURPS DF books, and still didn't find it. Was this ever detailed out?

If there aren't any official rules I'm thinking that it only takes 1 turn to drop a small backpack with 2 free hands, 3 turns if something is held in one hand. Double these times for a frame backpack, and add an extra second to place the backpack down gently.
I use 2 seconds myself.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Rolando

I would rule it depending on what the character have in the hands at the moment.

If they are walking with a spear in one hand and a shield in the other it will take longer, as the character must take off the shield before dropping the backpack.

If the character have both hands/arms free I would say 2 seconds are good, as I imagine any dungeon delver have practiced how to drop the backpack fast.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
corwyn

That's why everyone should have a quick release pack.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
That's why everyone should have a quick release pack.
Except a quick release backpack is also a small backpack. Even the 100lb limit of a frame backpack can be pretty limiting for a barbarian. Maybe he needs to tie quick-release sacks to his ears...
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:26 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Although that Barbarian is less concerned about encumberance and may not even need to worry about ditching gear.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-31-2022 at 01:01 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
Michael Thayne

An underloaded pack might take 1 Ready maneuver to disentangle yourself from the already-loose straps, but if I were going to be carrying around 40 lbs. on my back all day (or even for a few hours) I'd want to do everything possible to make sure the weight is well-distributed on my body, ideally using more than just the two shoulder straps. I wouldn't want to have to do that in a life-or-death situation where seconds count, but maybe roll 1d+1 for the number of Ready maneuvers?
Old 09-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #8
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
An underloaded pack might take 1 Ready maneuver to disentangle yourself from the already-loose straps, but if I were going to be carrying around 40 lbs. on my back all day (or even for a few hours) I'd want to do everything possible to make sure the weight is well-distributed on my body, ideally using more than just the two shoulder straps. I wouldn't want to have to do that in a life-or-death situation where seconds count, but maybe roll 1d+1 for the number of Ready maneuvers?
I'm partial to 20-Hiking Skill in seconds... that really reinforces having a good Hiking roll.

If I was more worried about representing good training, I'd do 10-Hiking Level.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote