Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-10-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Pharyngeal teeth for monsters

I was wondering how you would handle monsters with pharyngeal teeth like say some sort of giant frog that swallows a PC and then used his pharyngeal teeth to chew up the PC. (These are the teeth inside the throat of the animal that swallows prey whole then grinds up their prey). Maybe some magical monsters might even have some really nasty pharyngeal teeth. The pharyngeal teeth are best for monsters that swallow their prey whole and the pharyngeal teeth would prevent the PC from going into the stomach and using their weapon to try to cut themselves out.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
agentdenton
Banned

Default Re: Pharyngeal teeth for monsters

When it lurks in a reef and has 2 sets of teeth, that's a moray.

When it's jaws open wide and there's more jaws inside, that's a moray.

When an eel bites your thigh and you bleed out and die, that's a moray.

OK, now that I have that out of my system, honestly, if it can swallow a human it might do so much damage in the initial attack you're dead before you hit the pharyngeal teeth. Maybe if it makes a critical success on the bite attack that swallows the pc it succeeds enough to get it far enough the throat for them to Make a new damage roll. Otherwise the creature has to roll next turn to swalow that deeply and the pc might be able to do something first.

Now for a creature like a morray eel, see the link below for an illustration.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/71...44e079b9dd.png

In this case it can't swallow you but on a critical success the pharyngeal jaws engage and do a new bite damage roll. In a morrays case the secondary damage would be less as they're smaller.

Last edited by agentdenton; 07-10-2022 at 08:35 PM.
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #3
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdenton View Post
When it lurks in a reef and has 2 sets of teeth, that's a moray.
And another: "When that eel means you harm as it takes off your arm..." (You know the rest.)

To the OP:

I had this on my site from ages ago:

Quote:
One-Way Jaws

Your teeth point inward like the barbs of a hook, or you have a tremendous peristalsis action with no shutoff. You have a +5 on Contests to keep foes in your jaws from breaking free, but at the same time, you have to eat what you bite, never mind that it just pulled the pin on a frag grenade. Bon appetit. This is a 0-point effect.
That aside, what you're describing sounds like the worrying action that many creature write-ups include. Off-hand, I don't know whether that's written up as a trait with a cost somewhere. But what you describe sounds to me like

a) a bite with the worrying ability, plus
b) maybe extra damage only for worrying, plus
c) maybe my One-Way Jaws above (or some variant).

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
agentdenton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
And another: "When that eel means you harm as it takes off your arm..." (You know the rest.)

To the OP:

I had this on my site from ages ago:

That aside, what you're describing sounds like the worrying action that many creature write-ups include. Off-hand, I don't know whether that's written up as a trait with a cost somewhere. But what you describe sounds to me like

a) a bite with the worrying ability, plus
b) maybe extra damage only for worrying, plus
c) maybe my One-Way Jaws above (or some variant).
I'd say this works fine. :)
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote