Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-23-2023, 01:45 PM   #11
DeadParrot

Default Re: TFT vs. GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
I do back off of trying to make things realistic unless what I see is absolutely wrong. Like the Unarmed Combat 1 RAW that says all abilities are lost by simply having something in their hands.
Agree. I like the Pathfinder 1 description under the Monk class for the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. "A monk's attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full...." Treat UC1+ similar to the monk feat and it should work just fine.

Besides, the cinematic effect of a tavern maid with UC3 laying out a patron with a roundhouse kick after he gave her a butt grope while she was walking past with 4 drinks in hand is too good to pass up. And she didn't spill a drop.

If the players are staying engaged in the game and having fun, you are doings things correctly. Don't be in a hurry to change much.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
6 different magic systems has to make wizards very complicated in GURPS.
The different systems are there to offer different flavors to model different sorts of fantasy or fiction. Most campaigns will only use one system so its not that complicated.
Conan, Witch World, Dresden Files, The Belgiard, Wuxia magic, Wizard of Earth Sea, Riddle Master of Hed, Dying Earth, Fafnir and the Grey Mouser, video game wizards, Mercedes Lackeys' Vladamar, and the Jhreg series all have a different feel.
Sometimes you can make minor changes to get the flavor and feel you want but other times it takes more work. So some authors have helped out by doing a lot of the initial legwork.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 AM   #13
hcobb

The biggest missing bit from GURPS in TFT (given our setting) is the ability to easily pick up the basics of a talent and then improve on that to any level of expertise.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:18 PM   #14
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The biggest missing bit from GURPS in TFT (given our setting) is the ability to easily pick up the basics of a talent and then improve on that to any level of expertise.
TFT teases at this with Brawling, Missile Weapons, and Thrown Weapons.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:11 AM   #15
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
For me, it's the Defense roll that GURPS has that is the most fundamental difference, and its resultant massive increase in fiction emulation (while at the same time making combat more luck-based and less of a chess match).