Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #1
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

I was looking at the weapons one of the monk guys uses in Heroes of the Storm: https://i.imgur.com/LuYpefl.png

It seems like if you stabbed directly forward you wouldn't hit with the sharp part, so would this be something like swing-impale and then you can do a "pull attack" to do further damage?

I'm not sure what the closest to representing this would be, I know the katana has lower impaling range than cutting range I think to represent this?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Weapons like that would be bad at everything except looking like a Wolverine clone -- they don't thrust well, they don't have the grip to do a decent swing (they'll just twist around if you hit anything), and triple blades mean armor gets to work three times.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

See the Trident for some ideas on traits.
__________________
My GURPS publications GURPS Powers: Totem and Nature Spirits; GURPS Template Toolkit 4: Spirits; Pyramid articles. Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Weapons like that would be bad at everything except looking like a Wolverine clone
depictions seem to vary on whether he has straight claws good for impaling or curved ones =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
-- they don't thrust well, they don't have the grip to do a decent swing (they'll just twist around if you hit anything)
I'm thinking you would do an arc hitting slightly beyond and then "pull back" using your back muscles to rake/cut ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
triple blades mean armor gets to work three times.
I think they're meant to cause multiple wounds on unarmored demons?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I was looking at the weapons one of the monk guys uses in Heroes of the Storm: https://i.imgur.com/LuYpefl.png

It seems like if you stabbed directly forward you wouldn't hit with the sharp part, so would this be something like swing-impale and then you can do a "pull attack" to do further damage?

I'm not sure what the closest to representing this would be, I know the katana has lower impaling range than cutting range I think to represent this?
They don't appear to be curved on closer examination but straight, tapering sharply toward the inside near the tip. I'm fairly sure what is being pictured is either a Neko-De (MA221) or a very close equivalent thereto. The statistics for the Neko-De are listed as the Bladed Hand on MA226 under Brawling, Karate or DX.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

In Wolverine's case, since adamantium is unbreakable, it can be made sufficiently sharp (high Armor Divisor) that the resistance of armor to three blades is so minimal as to be indistinguishable from one.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
WingedKagouti
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think they're meant to cause multiple wounds on unarmored demons?
Nah, that Kharazim skin is very specifically a Wolverine reference, he still punches the same way as his unarmed base skin.

The skin is called Berserker and the description is
Quote:
Though his memories elude him, Kharazim knows that his past is marked by his feral rage. Thankfully, the Hellfire Cabal provides the perfect target for his aggression.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Purely cosmetic weapons should probably be a perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:46 PM   #9
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Nah, that Kharazim skin is very specifically a Wolverine reference, he still punches the same way as his unarmed base skin.

The skin is called Berserker and the description is
I had only played the Demo of Diablo 3 so I had not idea how deep this went...

https://www.diablowiki.net/Logan%27s_Claw

I think the D3 monks inherited this from the D2 assassin katar variants though:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Claws
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Blade_Talons

it almost seems like you'd do a "return shot" type technique where you shoot past someone and then forcefully pull backward to rip them toward you using the claw

This would prevent the whole "it spins in my hand when I thrust it" problem
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:50 AM   #10
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: would curved claws be bad for direct thrusting but good for swings or pull-cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
it almost seems like you'd do a "return shot" type technique where you shoot past someone and then forcefully pull backward to rip them toward you using the claw

This would prevent the whole "it spins in my hand when I thrust it" problem
A raking move like that either requires an outright hook (like cat claws; those claws aren't nearly hooked enough) or a large amount of force pressing the blade against the surface (which can't be achieved with a perpendicular grip); otherwise it just slides. The only weapons I can think of that use a perpendicular grip are thrusting weapons like the katar (the martial arts claws weapon only appears to look like that in cinematic sources, the functional images I can find are very different).
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-06-2022 at 01:03 AM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
claws, cutting, heroes of the storm, impale, swing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.