Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #321
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I keep on thinking that Hua really could have used luck.

Botha looks over at Hua just as a biscuit disappears into the uniform. "Just what do you think you're doing?"
Time for a plausible (and hopefully non-fatal) lie:

"Oh! I was going to keep a snack for later."

Quote:
[190] 20-12-08 05:47:43 CET
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13 - 4 + 5 + 6 = 15 ... failure
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #322
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Looking for another likely target, Day is going to try to get one of the other crew in the mess to 'accidentally' trip one of the security detail.

[189] 20-12-07 23:51:10 CET

Suggestion to a crew member to 'accidentally' trip one of the security detail

3d6 <= 16
5 + 3 + 1 = 9 ... success (Success by 7, high skill absorbs -1 of range penalties).

Responding to Pothi, he says, "Zytie!? Really?! It's hard to believe he's an undercover agent."

A leg is in the wrong place as the two searching security member pass, but he luckily keeps his feet.

Pothi: "Its always the ones you don't suspect. Real Zorbani don't have to fake it"

Daymar hears laser fire.

The NCO stands up on a Table and shouts: "Sit Down and Shut Up Now! or I'll have you <explicative> on gruel for a month!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Time for a plausible (and hopefully non-fatal) lie:

"Oh! I was going to keep a snack for later."
Bothi shouts the name of the senior NCO "Kibuki! Come over here!"

Her eyes never leave Hua. "There is something funny about you. I just couldn't put my finger on it."

The NCO is heading over. A few people are watching curiously at what's going on.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 12-08-2020 at 09:00 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #323
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A leg is in the wrong place as the two searching security member pass, but he luckily keeps his feet.

Pothi: "Its always the ones you don't suspect. Real Zorbani don't have to fake it"

Daymar hears laser fire.

The NCO stands up on a Table and shouts: "Sit Down and Shut Up Now! or I'll have you <explicative> on gruel for a month!"
Having no desire to eat more of the gruel, Day stops talking with Pothi and faces forward, although he continues to assess the situation. How many of the security detail are still in the room versus giving chase? Was the laser fire directed at someone?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #324
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Bothi shouts the name of the senior NCO "Kibuki! Come over here!"

Her eyes never leave Hua. "There is something funny about you. I just couldn't put my finger on it."

The NCO is heading over. A few people are watching curiously at what's going on.
Onto really bad ideas then:
-> Would there be some kind of penalty to a ridiculously bold-faced lie (i.e. not knowing why there's a biscuit in my uniform, Botha put it there, etc.)
-> Obviously, Botha would catch me if I tried to slip the biscuit back onto my plate. Could I try to filch a biscuit off of Botha's plate and onto mine?
-> Do the utensils include a knife, and if so, is it really sharp?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:36 AM   #325
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Having no desire to eat more of the gruel, Day stops talking with Pothi and faces forward, although he continues to assess the situation. How many of the security detail are still in the room versus giving chase? Was the laser fire directed at someone?
Daymar has no way to tell who or what the laser fire was directed at, nor if it hit. Though continued fire and other reactions will shortly tell him more about that.

Of the 10 original security, six have left to chase the runner. The other four are posted up at the doors.

The room has fallen silent, with most people looking at the NCO, though glances continue to be thrown about the room to see what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Onto really bad ideas then:
-> Would there be some kind of penalty to a ridiculously bold-faced lie (i.e. not knowing why there's a biscuit in my uniform, Botha put it there, etc.)
-> Obviously, Botha would catch me if I tried to slip the biscuit back onto my plate. Could I try to filch a biscuit off of Botha's plate and onto mine?
-> Do the utensils include a knife, and if so, is it really sharp?
Bold faced lies: at this point, its her word against yours, plus the evidence of the biscuit. Her credit with authority is probably higher than yours at the moment. You'd need to undermine her position in some way, but a bold-faced lie is a fairly good tactic.

Right now Botha is watching you like a hawk, and isn't going to let you move your arms around, which you'd need to filch something or move it around. She's backed up by a growing portion of the room. You'd need a pretext for moving your arms around.

There is a metal knife handy. I wouldn't call it sharp, let alone really sharp, but neither would I want a special forces operator to stick me with it. Though I don't know if you can take the entire mess before security shows up. The living quarters are not good places for running, and yours is particuarly isolated: the only way out of the compartment is down.

I think each "bad idea" could work with a little more creative leveraging of elements already in play
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #326
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica, meanwhile, has mostly been waiting for her team members who don't have a resistance to psi suppressants to figure out a way around them. She has been sleeping in the living quarters at the fore of deck 18 with the rest of the folks who work at desks. They spend almost all of their time in the control room to the aft of deck 9, sorting information and guiding the ship through hyperspace.

Pacifica's buddy is a surely clerk named Nejora Piponizo. She has a massive monstrous mask tattoo on her left arm. She grew up on Jeetu, a Zorbani world undergoing a nasty civil war. Asking her about it will get some sort of off-handing sneering remark like "You're not planning on visiting to see the <explicative> bushmen, are you? then you don't need to know about it".

What has Pacifica been doing while she's been waiting for her comrades to evade their suppressants?

Please make an acting roll representing passing the interview everyone had right after the fire.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #327
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Bold faced lies: at this point, its her word against yours, plus the evidence of the biscuit. Her credit with authority is probably higher than yours at the moment. You'd need to undermine her position in some way, but a bold-faced lie is a fairly good tactic.
OK, new plan:
1) I'll reiterate my lie about wanting a snack for later to the NCO, and throw in a bit about Botha being inflexible.
2) If that that doesn't work, I suppose I'm going to get searched; so I'd then make an IQ roll to have remembered to carry the narcotic pill. Then I blame Botha for planting it on me, and hopefully this results in getting her locker searched.
3) If that doesn't work, we're on to violence.

And just because I think it's worth checking, what could I do with the ~9%(?) of my powers right now?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #328
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar has no way to tell who or what the laser fire was directed at, nor if it hit. Though continued fire and other reactions will shortly tell him more about that.

Of the 10 original security, six have left to chase the runner. The other four are posted up at the doors.

The room has fallen silent, with most people looking at the NCO, though glances continue to be thrown about the room to see what's going on.
Day is cautiously optimistic that attention has been diverted from him, but knows he isn't out of the woods yet. For now he's going to let the distractions he created play out, rather than trying to introduce more and risking exposure.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #329
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) Please make an acting roll representing passing the interview everyone had right after the fire.
Spoiler:  

Pacifica invests on collecting passwords and access codes along the areas she’s been allowed to wander about. To achieve this, she employs a combination of her psi-observation skill, her know-it-all perk and her exposition sense perk. I am assuming access to information and places is granted by entering codes in keyboards and in door-pin-pads, and that Pacifica is sometimes entrusted with papers that might have crucial information for the mission’s success.

Let me know if it’s possible.
Spoiler:  

On the other hand, Pacifica dedicates time to learn more about Nejora, trying to find something in common with her to ease conversations. Additionally, Pacifica would like to hear more about the civil war and Nejora’s motivations, for example: Who is fighting, why did the war get nasty, is Nejora wishing/dreaming of going back to her hometown, is her family there, why is Nejora here instead of aiding her fellow citizens? Ultimately Pacifica will try to cheer Nejora up.

Pacifica addresses this during downtime, trying to make a pleasant atmosphere.
Spoiler:  

At lunch she would try to legitimately snatch more food (e.g. asking for another round); she considers this would help her façade.
Spoiler:  


OOC: What would be examples of my specific day-to-day tasks?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #330
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, new plan:
1) I'll reiterate my lie about wanting a snack for later to the NCO, and throw in a bit about Botha being inflexible.
2) If that that doesn't work, I suppose I'm going to get searched; so I'd then make an IQ roll to have remembered to carry the narcotic pill. Then I blame Botha for planting it on me, and hopefully this results in getting her locker searched.
3) If that doesn't work, we're on to violence.

And just because I think it's worth checking, what could I do with the ~9%(?) of my powers right now?
You don't have any powers yet: the first 48 hours off of suppressants do nothing, and then the powers return over the next 48. If you had 9% of your powers, you'd be on improvised abilities, which requires skill rolls and FP expenditure, but would give you quite a few options. see powers page 173 for abilities at default.

The NCO says to go ahead and eat the biscuit right now, and he'll get another one for you to take with you. There is a shortage of biscuits, but given that you're accused of avoiding eating it, she's happy to give you extra.

Botha doesn't give up, but continues to make accusations about Hua's behavior, things like how she sneaks off, and that it makes no sense for the FIRST biscuit to be the one saved.

Make the IQ roll to see if you brought the narcotic. If you want to guide the situation towards or away from a search, roll SF(Military) (an another appropriate skill) and specify the direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day is cautiously optimistic that attention has been diverted from him, but knows he isn't out of the woods yet. For now he's going to let the distractions he created play out, rather than trying to introduce more and risking exposure.
There is more laser fire, and a scream. Two spacers are chosen from the mess to grab a stretcher and carry the runner to the medical wing. The room stands silent, at attention. An officer has almost certainly been called.

The five security come back, and have a short furtive conversation with the NCO. The NCO anounces: "That man was not the one they were looking for. They will continue the inspection. They believe they have seen a dreadstormer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica invests on collecting passwords and access codes along the areas she’s been allowed to wander about. To achieve this, she employs a combination of her psi-observation skill, her know-it-all perk and her exposition sense perk. I am assuming access to information and places is granted by entering codes in keyboards and in door-pin-pads, and that Pacifica is sometimes entrusted with papers that might have crucial information for the mission’s success.

Let me know if it’s possible.
An aweful lot of security is through passwords and access codes. The psi observation skill won't give you anything without an ability attached to it. Danger sense won't give you codes, and you can't use vibration sense to sense fine detail like the keys on a pin pad. I suppose you could use abilities at default though... what specifically would you like?

Quote:
At lunch she would try to legitimately snatch more food (e.g. asking for another round); she considers this would help her façade.
This is a long term thing, but Pacifica quickly builds a reputation as the tiny woman with the big appetite. When the fire (how did that happen?) destroys half of the flour stores, she is told to conserve flour, and that she can have as much reclaimed food as she wants. (down on the bottom of the ship they crack CO2 and water into methane, and feed that to bacteria along with sewage to make these vaguely unpleasant pellets you can live on and recycle indefinately. When daymar refers to "gruel", these pellets are generally involved.

Quote:
What would be examples of my specific day-to-day tasks?
One common task is tracking which hydrogen block cells have been emptied. She is also tasked with drawing up potential use plans: when the fire burned out a bunch of the flour she was assigned (along with a bunch of other people) to come up with multiple rationing plans for the officers to look over. She also frequently gets assigned to reconcile inventory on hand with on paper inventory for machinery, emergency gear, and other supplies (but not food, weaponry, or other "sensitive" supplies). She also gets assigned to draw up sample duty shifts when things get tight (like after that fire. Life was easy before that fire).

She's not in a position of trust: that would be the morale section or the officers, but she does get rather close to them.

As dreadstormer activity has become more and

Quote:
On the other hand, Pacifica dedicates time to learn more about Nejora, trying to find something in common with her to ease conversations. Additionally, Pacifica would like to hear more about the civil war and Nejora’s motivations, for example: Who is fighting, why did the war get nasty, is Nejora wishing/dreaming of going back to her hometown, is her family there, why is Nejora here instead of aiding her fellow citizens? Ultimately Pacifica will try to cheer Nejora up.

Pacifica addresses this during downtime, trying to make a pleasant atmosphere.
Is she trying to annoy Nejora? Nejora certainly thinks so.

"I'm fighting here because as long as the <explicative> bushmen get support from outside, the fighting won't end. I can end those <explicative> <unprintable> better by winning the wars in space. I'll do more good and I won't get shot by a <unprintable>."

She doesn't get the details from Nejora, but the Jeetu civil war is mostly fought between the urban cities and the rural countryside. the two groups were once the same, but the Zorbani have succeeded in assimilating the cities, but not the countryside. Shooting broke out, and the Quinta Republic is funding and supplying the Fighters in the Bush.

The tatoo is a demon in the lore of the Malu empire. She mostly thinks it looks cool, and doesn't know what it means, aside from personal ferocity. (think Oni mask tatoo)
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.