Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Martial Arts Styles for Animals and Hybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Yes, GURPS Dragon's pp. 75-78 might yield some useful material, in particular p. 78 has "Dragon Combat Manuevers". These could probably be adapted into techniques. Some of them would be appropriate for gryphons/griffins. Biting Grapple, Wing Bash, and Death from Above (DfA) seem appropriate, though griffins lack the size and mass of dragons to really be good at DfA.

If the sentient fantasy creatures in the original posters game include dragons than GURPS Dragons is a must have book!
I bought Dragons last weekend. Not gotten through it yet so I'll look at that section. And yes dragons are a part of the world, though rarely encountered and less often challenged!
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Sooo, what's special about DfA? Are there any modifications AfA needs to become DfA?
DfA allows you to either land at full speed and take some damage yourself or slow down for less damage to the target and no impact damage to yourself. DfA also includes a ST contest to check for knockdown (and potential for subsequent trampling).

Only change I'd make for 4E is switching the base skill to Aerobatics instead of Flight, which is now used for long distance travel instead of maneuvering.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
DfA allows you to either land at full speed and take some damage yourself or slow down for less damage to the target and no impact damage to yourself. DfA also includes a ST contest to check for knockdown (and potential for subsequent trampling).

Only change I'd make for 4E is switching the base skill to Aerobatics instead of Flight, which is now used for long distance travel instead of maneuvering.
Well, you can still use AfA on a M&A . . . at worst, it will be a different Technique.

As for the ST Contest, that sounds munchy.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Well, you can still use AfA on a M&A . . . at worst, it will be a different Technique.

As for the ST Contest, that sounds munchy.
I suggest you buy or borrow the book so you can get the whole picture, I'm not going to quote the entirety here.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I suggest you buy or borrow the book so you can get the whole picture, I'm not going to quote the entirety here.
I'm mostly trying to figure its 4e equvalent, *and* hope it is compliant with the Technique Building System.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
WingedKagouti

Quote:
I'm mostly trying to figure its 4e equvalent, *and* hope it is compliant with the Technique Building System.
From Dragons p 151:
Quote:
Dragon Combat Maneuvers p.78
These are now known as techniques. No major changes are
required.
The only change in AfA from 3E to 4E was a few clarifications (such as DR 3+ counting as a hard surface).
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
That seems reasonable. Allowing those techniques will make dragon characters (or other large flyers) a bit more dangerous… something I have no problem with.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, styles