Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 08-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #1
Shisui2015

Default assistance with game setup for GURPS Transhuman Space?

Hi. I could use some assistance with figuring out the best method to set up the rules and splatbooks for a new game I'm putting together with some buddies utilising the Transhuman Space theme. I currently plan to use 4e, but I'm open to suggestions. From the Singapore Sling Moduel, I'll be working.

My main games to date have been Pathfinder, Anima: Beyond Fantasy, and a brief spell of Paranoia. I have no prior experience with GURPS.
Shisui2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: assistance with game setup for GURPS Transhuman Space?

Well, there really are no splatbooks for Transhuman Space; GURPS generally doesn't make much use of those.

If you're going to run Singapore Sling, I recommend getting hold of the basic Transhuman Space book, which defines Transhuman Space as a setting, and the pdf supplement Changing Times, which converts the setting from 3/e to 4/e. (You can skip Changing Times if you want to stay with 3/e.) My pdf copy of Transhuman Space has the 3/e version of GURPS Lite starting on p. 207, which is all you have to have to run a 3/e GURPS campaign; if you want to go to 4/e you should pick up the 4/e version of GURPS Lite and use that.

Everything else is optional. You CAN buy the various supplements—Fifth Wave, Broken Dreams, Toxic Memes, In the Well, and so on—and they'll enrich your understanding of the setting. But they aren't aimed so much at powering up PCs. They're more like guides to different areas or different aspects of the setting.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:10 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Shell-Tech and Bioroid Bazaar both do have more templates for 4e (converted mostly from 3e sources, with a few new ones).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
Astromancer

My advice is to find a niche for the beginning of your campaign. Law enforcement on the moon, forensic psychologists dealing with the special problems of parahumans, or thrill seekers on Mars that have accidentally run afoul of the Martian Triads, something that would appeal to your players. This would give you and them time to acclimatize to the broader setting.

Exploring the depth and complexity of the setting can wait. Fun first, fun always.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:10 AM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
My advice is to find a niche for the beginning of your campaign. Law enforcement on the moon, forensic psychologists dealing with the special problems of parahumans, or thrill seekers on Mars that have accidentally run afoul of the Martian Triads, something that would appeal to your players. This would give you and them time to acclimatize to the broader setting.

Exploring the depth and complexity of the setting can wait. Fun first, fun always.
I'm going to say that I agree with this recommendation. I found THS fascinating as a setting, but I was baffled for a long time by what to do with it. Then I came up with the concept of a firm of private investigators specializing in informational crimes and torts. That gave me my first THS campaign, Whispers, which went so well that I ended up extending it from the usual two years to three.

The formula "You are X who do Y in setting Z" is always a good starting point for a campaign.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote