Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2024, 01:29 AM   #41
pawsplay

Default Re: Starship Piloting Skills, GURPS: Star Trekking

I wasn't sure if Piloting applied, but Word of Kromm seems to be that Piloting is still the skill for difficult physical maneuvers.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:04 AM   #42
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Here's where Kromm posted the intended distinctions between Spacer, Piloting, and Shiphandling.

Look at that! Qoltar was a participant in that thread.
Whoah! - Kromm's post was 17 years ago!! That was back when the Game store where I was working had been open for two years and I was running a GURPS:Traveller campaign.
Sadly the game store closed down in 2020 because of the pandemic lockdowns and restrictionshurting business.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 02-14-2024 at 03:12 AM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:40 AM   #43
Phantasm

Late to the thread. However, my takes on things in Star Trek follows the following:

Spacer: Lets you steer the ship under someone else's direction.

Piloting (Starship): Sulu's skill in TOS/TAS/numbered movies (and even Picard seems to have this, in one TNG ep in an asteroid field), taking direct control of the ship to fly it without direction from the ship's commander. I agree that this is because by a certain point most Trek ships have total automation as defined in Spaceships to handle things in real-time (probably half of the TOS!Enterprise's 300-ish person crew would have been in Engineering primarily to handle damage control).

Shiphandling (Starship): The primary skill of any ship captain, first officer, second officer, or really anyone qualified for sitting in the central seat on their shift when issuing orders to the helmsman.

I'd ignore the differences between "Starship" and "Warp-Capable" Piloting specialties in the GCA files, tbh.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:03 AM   #44
Stormcrow

Let me also point out that the GCA data files for GURPS Prime Directive do not match the rules for GURPS Prime Directive. Specifically, GPD has "Shuttlecraft" and "Starship" specializations of Piloting in addition to the specializations of the Basic Set, while the GCA data files for GPD do not.

GPD and GCA both have Shiphandling specializations of "Spaceship" and "Starship" (just like the Basic Set), but GCA also includes "Starship (Warp Powered)" for some reason not explained.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:05 AM   #45
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Let me also point out that the GCA data files for GURPS Prime Directive do not match the rules for GURPS Prime Directive.
Which version of G:PD are you checking it against?

(There have been three versions of G:PD, one published in 2002 using GURPS 3rd edition, one published in 2005, and one published in 2020.)

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #46
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar View Post
Which version of G:PD are you checking it against?

(There have been three versions of G:PD, one published in 2002 using GURPS 3rd edition, one published in 2005, and one published in 2020.)
I - the one who started the thread - am using the GCA version that is compatible with 4th edition of GURPS.

The 4th edition has been my preferred to RPG ever since it was released.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:23 PM   #47
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar View Post
The 2005 version. Someone with a copy of the revised book should check it for changes to Piloting and Shiphandling.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #48
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
I - the one who started the thread - am using the GCA version that is compatible with 4th edition of GURPS.
That's nice?

The statement (not by you, and which I directly quoted to make absolutely clear what I was responding to) that the GCA G:PD files are inconsistent with the G:PD book still required a specification of which version of the G:PD book was being referenced, because there are three versions of the book. And stating "GURPS 4th edition" wouldn't actually accomplish that, because G:PD has two different versions based on 4th edition GURPS, published 15 years apart.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #49
Pursuivant

I'll point out that Captain Joy's online templates are current as of January 2024 and might be better for Quoltor's purposes, since they're specifically designed for a TOS/DIS/SNW-era campaign, but unfortunately they're GCS templates.

The limited good news is that you can open templates as text files and convert the data manually. As long as you don't try to convert everything all at once, the job shouldn't be too annoying.

http://captainjoy.chunkyboy.com/GURP...onitor/GCS.php
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:26 PM   #50
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" the Enterprise is hijacked by the aliens manipulating the computer (and that's just the first time that such an event comes to my memory).
Nothing says Godlike Aliens and ratchets up the threat level like some mysterious force bricking or hijacking an entire starship.

The fact that contemporary 23rd c. Starfleet technology is theoretically capable of automating an entire starship is laid out in detail in TOS: The Ultimate Computer. As I mentioned upthread, however, Starfleet's efforts to completely automate starships (unless crewed by suitably trained holograms) never works as intended.

While Zora aboard Discovery seems like a pleasant, stable entity, she dates to the late 32rd century. Before then, fully-automated starship = out of control death machine which requires An Adventure and Heroes to stop.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote