Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Dual-Weapon Attack - purchase the technique for mismatched weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomservo
So you're saying Rapid Strike is made with a single-weapon in mind, while dual-weapon attack involves a weapon in each hand. That would make sense to me as the difference between -6 for Rapid Strike and -4 for dual-weapon attack.
That's exactly what I'm saying 8)

Quote:
Would you then rule you can Rapid Strike with two ready weapons in each hand at -4 (like dual-weapon attack states on page B417) instead of -6?
Probobibly not due to the interaction with ather things that effect Rapid strike 8)

But if you want to Role play calling it that, while actual use the Dual-Attack machanics I would have No problem 8) [once I caught on to what you where doing]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
blacksmith

Quote:
Attacking with two weapons at once is legal, but forces the attacker to incur a -4 penalty with each weapon (unlike Rapid Strike, which forces a -6 to each attack; not sure how that works). It does not specify that these weapons need be matched; You could be using a Rapier and Main Gauche, a broadsword and a large knife, or a bastard sword and axe.

I can "buy off" that -4 penalty for attacking with two weapons at once by purchasing the Dual-Weapon Attack technique. But does that apply only to one of the weapons I'm using? Or do I need to purchase this separately for each of the weapons: (DWA - Broadsword and DWA - Knife for example).

I would tend to rule the technique as a familiarity technique; thus you purchase DWA (Broadsword/Knife) and base the skill level off of the best (worst?) of the two skills. If you wanted DWA (Broadsword/Axe), that's a separate technique purchase. This seems to keep it in line with purchasing DWA (Broadsword) for two swords or DWA (Sai) for two Sai; you wouldn't purchase the technique for the same skill twice, right?
I would make is set specific, so two swords is a set as is a rapier main-gauche. I would also make it hand specific for most games. The real issue is this is someone trained in rapier/main-gaunche able to fight with knives in both hands well? What about swords?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
blacksmith

Quote:
So you're saying Rapid Strike is made with a single-weapon in mind, while dual-weapon attack involves a weapon in each hand. That would make sense to me as the difference between -6 for Rapid Strike and -4 for dual-weapon attack.

Would you then rule you can Rapid Strike with two ready weapons in each hand at -4 (like dual-weapon attack states on page B417) instead of -6?
You can only rapid strike once per turn. So with someone with dual weapons and weapon master and ambidexterity then yes, he could get something like

-3/-3/0 as his attacks

At least I think so, have not checked the books on this
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
You can only rapid strike once per turn. So with someone with dual weapons and weapon master and ambidexterity then yes, he could get something like

-3/-3/0 as his attacks

At least I think so, have not checked the books on this
Per FAQ 3.4.2.7, you can't combine a DWA and a Rapid Strike. They are either/or.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual attack, dual-weapon attack