Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
pawsplay

Default Planar Summons (Nerds)

So I was looking at the spells in the basic set, and under Plane Shift it notes that you will need Plane Shift for your home plane to return home. The prerequisites for Plane Shift is the Planar Summons for the same plane. So, a wizard from a version of Earth, to learn Plane Shift (Earth) would need Planar Summons (Earth). Which means they have a spell for summoning Earth beings of the GM's choosing.

Does that seem right?
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:43 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Planar Summons (Nerds)

Yup, that's how it works.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:36 PM   #3
Anthony

Subject to the flaw that planar summons only ever works on a creature from another plane, so you can't cast planar summons (home plane) on your home plane.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:34 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Still that leads to the obvious scenario of a demon summoning an engineer to help her upgrade her hell's technology.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:36 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Still that leads to the obvious scenario of a demon summoning an engineer to help her upgrade her hell's technology.
So you're saying GURPS handles isekai right out of the box?
Old 03-02-2024, 12:44 AM   #6
pawsplay

The Time When I was Summoned by a Demon to Engineer Software and Made Friends with Bigfoot, a Goat, and Jimmy Hoffa
Old 03-03-2024, 08:22 AM   #7
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Subject to the flaw that planar summons only ever works on a creature from another plane, so you can't cast planar summons (home plane) on your home plane.
It seems to me that the way to learn to get back to your home is to go to another (preferably safe) plane, with a wizard who knows the spells. They teach you Planar Summons (home plane) and probably Plane Shift (home plane) while there.

If the teaching plane has a different time rate than your home plane, you could spend all the time you need to learn those spells and get back with hardly any time passing at home.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:23 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
It seems to me that the way to learn to get back to your home is to go to another (preferably safe) plane, with a wizard who knows the spells. They teach you Planar Summons (home plane) and probably Plane Shift (home plane) while there.

That will only get you home if you learn the Plane Shift(Your home plane). You (or the friendly wizard either) can't Planar Summons you somewhere else. It's a "To here" spell only with no "From here to elsewhere" capability.

Even with Plane Shift(your home plane) you have to cast it yourself. The friendly wizard would need Plane Shift Other (or a Gate Spell too).

Of course, if the friendly wizard knows Banish he probably sent you home as soon as you opened your mouth. You're obviously lost and trying to find your way home.

The Cabal handles this sort of thing with Plane Shift (Astral Plane) if they bother to use Spells instead of natural Gates to and from the Astral at all. They might need Find Gate and Open Gate for those.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:48 AM   #9
pawsplay

Can I just say how entertaining it is, that it is within the capabilities of a completely unprepared journeyman mage to travel to Hell?
Old 03-03-2024, 03:06 PM   #10
Mr_Sandman

Right. For safety’s sake, your mentor should know planeshift other, gate or banish, not just planeshift(home plane). Although, if they knew and you were taught planeshift(home plane) you could get home yourself.