Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2024, 09:05 AM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default After the Magical End: Post-Apocalypse Technomancer

So, been following the lore of the Crusader Kings Fan Mod "After the End", which takes place in the Americas in the year 2666 a.d., 700 years after an undefined "Event" destroyed human civilization and humanity has slowly rebuilt up to a medieval level. Inspired by stories such as "The Canticle of Leibowitz".

And I was thinking of taking the concept and adding more obviously magical elements, and realized that the world of GURPS Technomancer would make for an interesting version, creating an innovative Fantasy setting, built around the ruins of a more advanced Technomagical society.

Mana Levels of the world would be Normal, with regions of both High and Low mana, as well as Aspected mana, most caused by different sources of ancient Techno-Magical Pollution.

The societal Tech Level would've reverted back to TL 3 to 5, depending on the region, with traditional magic taking over for a lot of things. Much of the technomagic of the old world is basically lost-tech, with only a few scholars still knowing how to use them.

Whole new species of Chimeras, both humanoid and feral creatures, could've arose in this new world. Undead of all sorts would also be rampant. The oldest surviving Dragons would still remember knowledge of the old world, but most would've given in to their primal instincts, going wild and building their individual lairs and hoards, and fighting over territory. In addition to their physical and magical might, many would also maintain ancient pre-cataclysm weapons and other devices.

I figure all of them, along with normal humans, could also undergo Mutations according to the rules in AtE: Wastelanders, although supernatural advantages and disadvantages would also be common.

Not sure what the Cause of the End could be here; maybe a mix of Necronium Bomb warfare, The Earth Fights Back, Reign of Steel (golems) and Zombies.

CK3: After the End includes a lot of new religions popping up after the Apocalypse, such as Americanism (which considers the Founding Fathers to be ascended beings) or the Occultists (who consider the works of H.P. Lovecraft sacred texts), and I would like to adapt similar ideas to this.

This is mostly just a basic concept at this point. I may develop this idea further in the future.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: After the Magical End: Post-Apocalypse Technomancer

I've worked with a similar concept (one of my many ideas I've never actually had a chance to use in play). In my instance, the Trinity test opened a portal, killing most of the world and changing everything that remained.

I had planned for the PCs to be based in Albuquerque, just past the edge of the chaos mana area (where you really don't want to be for very long), and had some fantasy races that were both mutated humans and mutated animals, and had a number of rough templates based on the fauna of the American Southwest. My idea was that the event (pretty much everyone who knew what exactly was going in the desert that fateful day was killed) was - just barely - living memory.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure those files were lost in the great hard drive apocalypse of 2012.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:15 PM   #3
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
The oldest surviving Dragons would still remember knowledge of the old world
Hmm? The dragon templates in GURPS Technomancer don't have any form of life extension, they just have Early Maturation.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #4
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar View Post
Hmm? The dragon templates in GURPS Technomancer don't have any form of life extension, they just have Early Maturation.
Yes. Long lived dragons in such a setting would have to be further mutated or bioengineered from those in the book. Unless you decide the black dragons are really undead in your game.
On the other hand some madman detonating another nuke might explain further mutations, new chimera species and the apocalypse in a single stroke.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
With some additional Magery they could use Halt Aging Spells.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:02 PM   #6
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
With some additional Magery they could use Halt Aging Spells.
Sure, there could be some long-lived dragons in a post-apocalyptic Technomancer (using Halt Aging/Youth/Steal Youth spells or items, or brewing Youth potions), but there isn't anything about someone being a dragon that makes that particularly likely compared to a human or chimera.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:05 PM   #7
mburr0003

Quote:
Sure, there could be some long-lived dragons in a post-apocalyptic Technomancer (using Halt Aging/Youth/Steal Youth spells or items, or brewing Youth potions), but there isn't anything about someone being a dragon that makes that particularly likely compared to a human or chimera.
Aside from the fact that a dragon mage/alchemist would be inherently tougher to kill than a Joe Scruffy human or chimera mage/alchemist. Dragons just have that advantage of being able to survive stuff that would kill frailer mage/alchemists.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #8
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Really? Huh, must've missed that. Okay, never mind the oldest dragon thing.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:52 PM   #9
Dalillama

Ancient atomic liches are still a possibility. They might have great wisdom, but they're fundamentally dangerous to visit or query.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 03:39 PM   #10
pawsplay

From what I recall of the setting, simply setting off one or two more A-bombs would be sufficient to bring about or at least precipitate an apocalyptic wasteland.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote