Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 02-18-2024, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default February 19, 2024: My Pet Monster

February 19, 2024: My Pet Monster

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:37 PM   #2
Worldwalker

Default Re: February 19, 2024: My Pet Monster

I know I'm biased -- after all, I have a scorpion on my desk -- but I think Monster is absolutely awesome. He's beautiful, he looks positively prehistoric, and he gives me one of the rare excuses to use the word "toxicognaths" -- that's the term for his bitey bits, which aren't mouthparts; they're modified legs. And toxic, of course.

Interestingly, these have a number of regional color morphs, one of which is red with a black head and tail -- almost an inverse of Monster's coloring.

Also, I'm quite happy that I live in South Carolina and don't find these guys in my house. The closest I've come was a Scutigera coleoptrata, which is not very close.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
larsdangly

Love these squiggly guys! I just ran a session a couple days ago in which I sub'd one in place of a Carrion Crawler in the old AD&D dungeon I was working from.

(Incidentally, TFT pairs nicely with these late 70's era D&D modules, as TFT's high level of risk and dungeon times keep the excitement dialed up to 11 no matter what the situation!).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:27 PM   #4
andreww

Super neat.

I definitely have to work one of those into my next game. Just to keep the elves on their toes.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote