Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Chunk
MIB

Default [POWERS] Modelling UMana using Powers ...

Okay, I had very little to do at work today so I started tinkering with a few ideas. Then I decided to see how you would model Umana using Powers. Here's what I came up with so far, so I'd be interested in comments and refinements.

Energy Reserve 30 (Magical) [90]
(No FP Use Allowed [+0%], Unaffected by Recover Energy spell [-x%])

Regeneration (Very Fast) (Energy Reserve only) [100]
(Trigger: Sunrise [-10%], Maximum Duration: 8s [-75%])

Am I missing anything here??
Since Umana would apply to all characters, I would end up using a [*0] enhancement to reduce it to 0cp.
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
NorthSaber

Default Re: [POWERS] Modelling UMana using Powers ...

I don't think you really need to model UMana via Powers at all - just assume magic works that way. If you really want to use Powers, it's gonna be difficult, since UMana works in pretty complicated ways (including being able to cast spells while over the threshold, causing calamities).
Old 03-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
GunnerJ

I'm doing a similar thing. I don't think Energy Reserve or Regen is really necessary. Just apply the "Costs FP" modifier to everything and call it "Adds to Thresh." Then set a campaign Thresh (mine is 0... it's darkish near-high fantasy) and a Recovery Rating (mine is by ritual). Abilities with "Adds to Thresh" add their usual FP cost to the Threshold. Remember, in Umana, Thresh and RR are properties of the game world, not character abilities. The Umana page does specify advantages allowing character to have better recovery or thresh, however.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Chunk
MIB

... which is precisely why I was trying to model it using Powers.

At least then, you can duplicate the various UMana recovery advantages by altering the regeneration limitations and/or enhancements.

It also allows for certain items (using Gadget limitations) that can increase threshold when held (ER x {Magic}; gadget, can be stolen/breakable). Hmmm, imagine a powerstone type item that increases the Threshold, and explodes into shards if the Calamity roll is nasty enough :)

For those of you who are suggesting not to bother, well, that's your choice. Me, I'm actually trying to be curious. If I can replicate UMana using the tools that we currently have, then there's a chance that there'll be a Pyramid article out of this, and who knows ... it might even be snatched up by SJG for inclusion with a book.

I want to go beyond the original UMana rules and I'm actually looking at the UMana Revision from the GURPSnet archives whilst coming up with these ideas.
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
GunnerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk
... which is precisely why I was trying to model it using Powers.
Then all you really need are those advantages, modified by source and as part of a power. You can even make them gadgets by simply applying a gadget modifier.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Gef

I use an energy reserve in tiers, with each tier more Unreliable than the previous, and the "Malfunction" variant of Unreliable, with a broad range of possible malfunctions as a special effect. Since I mix and match, this energy reserve is not free - but it's cheaper than an energy reserve with no limitations.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
GameBuddah

I'm actually curious about ways to enhance standard magic users with "Powers"
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote