Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: 4e rules { Sweeping blows by humans and by giants (SM+2) }

Well, really, I wish there was a way to replicate what Sauron was doing to elves and men in the opening battle of the Fellowship of the Ring, that is, one mace blow->a dozen men flying. However, this is so unrealistic, that I don't hold GURPS responsible for it.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Was me, actually. Meaningful thread names ease searches, facilitate tracking discussions through subscriptions, and have a better chance to attract a person with the right answer. Empty names, we hates it.
Ah well thank you then and yes I agree on all counts.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
Is it possible the thing I'm talking about was put in Dungeon Fantasy, Dragons, or normal Fantasy? It probably is, because it's very in genre.

I think I can understand why a normal game wouldn't need it, though. Because as far as I can imagine there's no creature in real life that the rule would ever apply to.
Yes but besides DF there are lots of other circumstances where it could come up so it should be a basic rule IMHO. And I am really pretty sure it is. I just cant find it again.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Dunadin777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, really, I wish there was a way to replicate what Sauron was doing to elves and men in the opening battle of the Fellowship of the Ring, that is, one mace blow->a dozen men flying. However, this is so unrealistic, that I don't hold GURPS responsible for it.
Sauron's attack is kind of hard to gauge due to the camera angle, but a (more) realistic way to handle it might be to identify that as massive amounts of knockback from AoA(strong) attacks or something similar. If someone statted that up as Sauron just hitting one or two warriors' shields in one hit that knocked them back into the others, I'd say it fits. Maybe the mace is imbued with tremendous knockback. There's even an explosive effect with the hits that could be shields shattering... explosively. :)

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Dustin

If the giant is big enough, there's an option to move through multiple enemies' hexes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Hex Figures (B392)
When a figure two or more hexes in size moves through a smaller one, treat it as a slam...The larger figure can keep right on moving unless it is itself knocked down.
This can be accomplished not only by moving forward, but also by facing changes (use the head's hex) that sweep the body through the map.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
You know how giant monsters in fiction are able to swat away an entire team of heroes in one punch just because of the long arc their arms cover?

As far as I can tell GURPS doesn't have any official rules over it past considering attacks from a larger creature as a Large-Area Injury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah I tried looking that up for this thread but couldn't find it. I know there is a large SM attack counts as area somewhere other then just the trampling and overrun rules
Basic Set, Page 400, Large-Area Injury section

Quote:
A melee attack from an attacker whose Size Modifier exceeds that of his target by seven or more is also a large-area injury – if the attacker is striking unarmed or with a weapon scaled to his body size.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I'm a bit fuzzy on striking, but isn't this whirlwind attack? At one hex per 8 points of damage (maybe 4 points due to uber-cinematic knockback effects), you're basically talking about a whirlwind attack that inflicts 1 yd of knockback per die of damage, and Sauron had a lot of dice behind that attack.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'm a bit fuzzy on striking, but isn't this whirlwind attack? At one hex per 8 points of damage (maybe 4 points due to uber-cinematic knockback effects), you're basically talking about a whirlwind attack that inflicts 1 yd of knockback per die of damage, and Sauron had a lot of dice behind that attack.
Well, let's leave the knockback question for later. The thing here was that Sauron didn't do a 360 degree attack, he did a standard side-swing, covering maybe a 60 degree angle. He was probably all out attacking, because the targets were stunned by his terror. The thing is, he was hitting foes like a scythe mows down wheat (only he was doing so one handed).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
lexington

Quote:
Well, let's leave the knockback question for later. The thing here was that Sauron didn't do a 360 degree attack, he did a standard side-swing, covering maybe a 60 degree angle. He was probably all out attacking, because the targets were stunned by his terror. The thing is, he was hitting foes like a scythe mows down wheat (only he was doing so one handed).
Nothing about Wirlwind Attack says you have to make a complete 360 degree turn. Maybe give a bonus for not turning completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Basic Set, Page 400, Large-Area Injury section
I think the issue is striking multiple enemies at once, which that doesn't cover.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You might want to look at Cleaving Strike on p. 10 of Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups. It's pretty much explicitly the ability to swat lots of people aside by doing knockback or knockdown.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, size modifier