Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Trachmyr

Default How do I stat these abilities for a Lamia?

Looking for some help from the Hive mind. I’m building a Lamia (like a Naga with a Humanoid Torso & serpent body) character who will also possess martial arts amongst other esoteric skills. I’m having a bit of trouble stating the SM and posture effects. I read through all of the threads on this topic, but I don’t have answers to my specific questions (I even tried posting a general “Vermiform” thread, but that didn’t help either.) Since I won’t be the only GM in the game (we’re taking turns), I need fair Point costs.

-----------------------

Fist the SM issue: The character is 21’ long and about 360 pounds. It has Double-Jointed & Constriction Attack, and I want to be able to constrict SM 1... At least for fatigue. Snakes in Basic seem to have an SM which is 2 smaller than typical for their length, that works out fairly well as 21’ is SM +3, so two less would be SM +1... That’s about right for weight & what it can constrict. However, the character’s profile is no larger than a human & it can wear normal human-sized armor/clothing on it’s torso/arms/head. But armor for the serpent body would be as if SM+1 or +2. So I’m looking for a way to allow the character to be treated as SM+0 or SM+1, which ever is most beneficial at the time. Stretching seems like the closest match, maybe a “reversed” form with Reflexive so the SM+1 creature can gain all benefits of SM+0?

I also want to Suffer no penalties from ground fighting & low fighting… is that included in No Legs (Slithers)? And to be able to “crouch” or “stand” (at at least a third body length) taking no more than a “step” action, and to move that way without penalty.

What is the disadvantage for “Cannot Jump”…. but what if I could glide over gaps up to a third body length without penalty (It does have Terrain Adaptation (Active) as well as Clinging (No Smooth or Inverted Surfaces)) and would “Cannot Sprint” be worth a quirk?

And some questions… if you grapple/choke/constrict/bear hug someone with Double-Jointed/Constriction Attack AND two arms, do you gain the +4 for having four hands (or +3 in takedown/pins/etc.). And lastly, is it valid to buy Lifting Strength with No Manipulators so that it applies only to the body?
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: How do I stat these abilities for a Lamia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
Looking for some help from the Hive mind. I’m building a Lamia (like a Naga with a Humanoid Torso & serpent body) character who will also possess martial arts amongst other esoteric skills. I’m having a bit of trouble stating the SM and posture effects. I read through all of the threads on this topic, but I don’t have answers to my specific questions (I even tried posting a general “Vermiform” thread, but that didn’t help either.) Since I won’t be the only GM in the game (we’re taking turns), I need fair Point costs.

-----------------------

Fist the SM issue: The character is 21’ long and about 360 pounds. It has Double-Jointed & Constriction Attack, and I want to be able to constrict SM 1... At least for fatigue. Snakes in Basic seem to have an SM which is 2 smaller than typical for their length, that works out fairly well as 21’ is SM +3, so two less would be SM +1... That’s about right for weight & what it can constrict. However, the character’s profile is no larger than a human & it can wear normal human-sized armor/clothing on it’s torso/arms/head. But armor for the serpent body would be as if SM+1 or +2. So I’m looking for a way to allow the character to be treated as SM+0 or SM+1, which ever is most beneficial at the time. Stretching seems like the closest match, maybe a “reversed” form with Reflexive so the SM+1 creature can gain all benefits of SM+0?

I also want to Suffer no penalties from ground fighting & low fighting… is that included in No Legs (Slithers)? And to be able to “crouch” or “stand” (at at least a third body length) taking no more than a “step” action, and to move that way without penalty.

What is the disadvantage for “Cannot Jump”…. but what if I could glide over gaps up to a third body length without penalty (It does have Terrain Adaptation (Active) as well as Clinging (No Smooth or Inverted Surfaces)) and would “Cannot Sprint” be worth a quirk?

And some questions… if you grapple/choke/constrict/bear hug someone with Double-Jointed/Constriction Attack AND two arms, do you gain the +4 for having four hands (or +3 in takedown/pins/etc.). And lastly, is it valid to buy Lifting Strength with No Manipulators so that it applies only to the body?
In all honesty, I might just give them an Extra Arm with flexible and long, but keep their SM 0, at least for purposes of the tail.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
lexington

Quote:
What is the disadvantage for “Cannot Jump”…. but what if I could glide over gaps up to a third body length without penalty
Automatically crossing a gap 3SM's smaller than you is a feature of having a SM, an SM+3 creature can probably go over 2 yard gaps if it wants.

Quote:
would “Cannot Sprint” be worth a quirk?
Yeah.

Quote:
is it valid to buy Lifting Strength with No Manipulators so that it applies only to the body?
I don't understand this question.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Automatically crossing a gap 3SM's smaller than you is a feature of having a SM, an SM+3 creature can probably go over 2 yard gaps if it wants.
Duh... I was overthinking the issue. Thanks for pointing that out.
But then what would be the value of Cannot Jump? Or should that be considered a feature and a trade-off for not requiring Ground/Low Fighting?

Quote:
In Response to: would “Cannot Sprint” be worth a quirk?

Yeah.
Sounds good.

Quote:
In response to: "is it valid to buy Lifting Strength with No Manipulators so that it applies only to the body?"

I don't understand this question.
Well, after rereading Lifting ST, the Limitation for No Fine Manipulators doesn't apply, so the original question is moot. Instead, what would be the limitation for "Not Arms" on lifting ST?

-------------------------------------------

Do simplify my first post, these are my specific questions:
  • What would be the cost for having all of the benefits of SM+1, but none of the drawbacks?
  • How does Posture (specicly Prone, Lying-Face Down and Crouching) and No Legs (Slithers) interact? Would I need to buy Ground & Low Fighting?
  • What is "Cannot Jump" worth?
  • Does Constriction Attack and additional arms "stack"... so if using the body to constrict and two arms, do you get the benefits of having 4 hands?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
ClayDowling

I'm behind the times here, but there are stats for both Greek and romantic Lamia in Horror. For the romantic variety, see page 66, for the eye-gouging variety, page 93-94.

If you don't own the book, you should. It is full of more awesome than I dared hope to imagine.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
I'm behind the times here, but there are stats for both Greek and romantic Lamia in Horror. For the romantic variety, see page 66, for the eye-gouging variety, page 93-94.

If you don't own the book, you should. It is full of more awesome than I dared hope to imagine.
Thanks for that, didn't know they were in there... and I do have the book. Unfortunately, it doesn't touch upon the specifics I was asking about, but still an interesting comparison.

Tags
constriction attack, naga, no legs (slithers), size modifier, snake