Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Armor Cost and Weight for 1+ SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Necromancy FTW. There's no such thing as a realistic SM+3 giant humanoid (at least if made of conventional flesh, blood, and bone, and living on a 1G world), so you just have to decide how to make it unrealistic.
Oops. I was sent here from another thread and forgot to check the date. My bad.

Since I'm already here, is there a way to change the human body slightly to accommodate for such size difference (such as slightly different build, different bone structure, etc.)?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Oops. I was sent here from another thread and forgot to check the date. My bad.

Since I'm already here, is there a way to change the human body slightly to accommodate for such size difference (such as slightly different build, different bone structure, etc.)?
Since there were some bipedal dinosaurs that size, I would have to say yes, of course, if you played with the humanoid form a bit.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Since there were some bipedal dinosaurs that size, I would have to say yes, of course, if you played with the humanoid form a bit.
Dinosaurs are reptiles, we are mammals, mammals have bigger problems being bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHe1wmEaYWo
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Dinosaurs are
avians,
Quote:
we are mammals, mammals have bigger problems being bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHe1wmEaYWo
Fixed it for you.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
Anthony

Okay, if you take a human and multiply scale by 3, the result is limbs that are 9x as strong, and a body that is 27x as heavy. That's not really practical -- it's like an average person carrying twice his body weight in encumbrance (and that's discounting any actual encumbrance, and it's generally a problem for even people in very good shape to carry around more than their own body weight. So, what can you do to help?

First of all, you probably want to add more bone, since the bones are also only 9x as strong. Fortunately, tripling bone strength isn't that hard -- bone strength scales as thickness^3/length -- but it still means bones that are proportionately 44% thicker and 108% heavier than a normal human, increasing typical skeletal mass from 14% of body weight to 29%.

Next, you have two choices for how to make the muscles stronger. First of all, you can move the muscle attachment point further from the joint -- limbs are levers, so the actual maximum force for a limb scales as (muscle cross-section) * (bone length / distance from joint to muscle attachment). Unfortunately, moving the attachment point away from the joint makes the limb slower, and if you move it too far away the limb is no longer able to bend fully (muscles only have a certain range of lengths where they contract properly). Secondly, you can just add a bunch more muscle. This will usually also limit flexibility, but does so more slowly. If we scale about the way bones do, we move the attachment point 44% further out from the body (changing max knee bend from maybe 135 degrees to 94 degrees) and also make the legs 44% thicker. This will require extremely wide hips, resulting in a body that looks like a huge dwarf. It's actually worse, because the upper body typically also needs to scale up in similar ways, meaning weight is no longer 27x greater. In general, it turns out that weight has to scale as the 5th power of weight in order to retain the same strength to weight ratios.

You can somewhat compromise by just having a lower strength to weight ratio, but a height of more than 8-9' is going to require pretty considerable shape changes.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
avians,
Since when? At best I've seen arguments that -some- of them had feathers.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
avians,

Fixed it for you.
Today dinosaurs(I.E. Birds) are avians, HOWEVER, the big ones from 65 to 220 million years ago were not, they were reptiles.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Since when? At best I've seen arguments that -some- of them had feathers.
Many biologists say that because birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs, they are dinosaurs.

I think the problem was that I used "are" instead of "were". Dinosaurs today are avians, because the reptile ones died out.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Today dinosaurs(I.E. Birds) are avians, HOWEVER, the big ones from 65 to 220 million years ago were not, they were reptiles.
It's more accurate to say that birds are dinosaurs, not that dinosaurs were birds. However, dinosaurs were more closely related to modern birds than modern reptiles.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I'd say that "birds are descendants of dinosaurs" is contentious even if you take macroevolution as a given (as most do in the modern Western world), "birds are dinosaurs" is inaccurate, and "dinosaurs are avians" is just downright silly.

Tags
scaling rules, size modifier