Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: Non-Humans in Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
'Doc' Smith, in his space operas, was better at making truly alien aliens than most SF writers, IMHO, better than many supposedly 'serious' SF efforts. His Rigellians, Palainians, and Velantians are inhuman...but they aren't main viewpoint characters, either. The one who comes closest to being one, Worsel of Velantia, is also by far the most human of the aliens.
There are chapters in the last two novels that are told from Nadreck's PoV. And Nadreck is by far the least human of them all.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
Disliker of the mary sue

Honestly I always thought the main problem with making non human sapient beings is well we don't know of any other sapient being. SO we really don't know for sure which are purely human traits and what are traits of sapience in general.

But yeah I not very found of elves myself, those pretentious bastards who think their so much better. Yeah like in that one scene in the hobbit movie where the dwarves are being forced away from their homes by a dragon while elven army just watch. (Admittedly I am not very familiar of Tolken's work so their might have been a reasonable explanation but in the context of the movie it just seemed like a supremely dick move and I thought the dwarves were completely justified in not wanting to seek their help). But otherwise I really don't have any problem with "non-Human" races. Don't think it that hard to justify their similarity with each other, just say their in the same family of animals just different sub-species.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
But yeah I not very found of elves myself, those pretentious bastards who think their so much better. Yeah like in that one scene in the hobbit movie where the dwarves are being forced away from their homes by a dragon while elven army just watch. (Admittedly I am not very familiar of Tolken's work so their might have been a reasonable explanation but in the context of the movie it just seemed like a supremely dick move and I thought the dwarves were completely justified in not wanting to seek their help).
That is not a scene from Tolkien at all, but a scene from Peter Jackson. You won't find any hint of elven presence in the brief account of Smaug's attack in the book.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That is not a scene from Tolkien at all, but a scene from Peter Jackson. You won't find any hint of elven presence in the brief account of Smaug's attack in the book.

Bill Stoddard

Hm alright then, I'll admit it been years since I read the hobbit so meh. Let just leave it at that, I don't want to cause trouble.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most human goals and emotions are rather important for survival. Though humor seems to be intrinsic to mammals, it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary. Or at least any defense mechanism for relieving stress could work as well.
Imagine how humor looks to those lacking it. It's bizarre illogical events and words that induce a seizure like reaction that we enjoy.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #26
ak_aramis

I like my non-humans. I don't care that 90% are man-in-suit+quirks, so long as there are racial quirks.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #27
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Bill Stoddard
PJ does make the elves out to be jerkasses, doesn't he?

The Wood Elves aren't exactly the friendliest folk in the book, but they do like to party and they do help the Lake-Men.

I'm a bit worried that we are going to get stuck-up emo elves in the films.

Bah!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

Years of Dungeons and Dragons has left many people with an intolerance toward elves.
My life mate will play any other race before elf.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Years of Dungeons and Dragons has left many people with an intolerance toward elves.
My life mate will play any other race before elf.

The write-up in the AD&D DMG doesn't make them sound bad. It does note that they can sometimes seem haughty-- but it also states that they never treat their friends and associates as anything less than equals. Nothing about being bitter, hateful racial supremacists or mopey jerks who never help anyone but other elves. Sure, they have their faults and prejudices, like any people. But they seem to be much more about drinking wine, singing and dancing merilly in the woods, and generally having fun.

Elves could rock if you ditch the emo stuff and just make them fun.

I think I'll go with that in my next D&D campaign.

YMMV
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Unwritten rules and cultural assumptions are just as important to impressions as R.A.W.

Tags
campaign, non-humans