Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

View Poll Results: Preferred strategy for Ogre Missiles:
Use right away 6 35.29%
Save for CP/HWTZR/Other important targets 7 41.18%
Other, explained below 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
selenite

Default Ogre Missile Strategy

Last night I introduced some newbies to Ogre with the Two Mk IIIs Attack scenario. They won because one hoarded her missiles until she was in range of the CP. Which started an argument over the best strategy for missiles elsewhere: Use them right away? Save them for important targets? Something else?

What's your strategy?
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
dwalend

Default Re: Ogre Missile Strategy

One counter-tactic for hoarding missiles is to blow them up just before the ogre moves in range of a valuable target. Like all things Ogre, it's a bell curve gamble, but there's no great benefit to attack the missiles them earlier.

The hoarding ogre should face an extra tank or two for many turns. That tank will be chipping away at guns and treads the whole time, and will be there to take aim at the missiles. Statistically that's a bad trade for the ogre.

It makes for an exciting end-game.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
woodchuck

It depends on what you're fighting against. Lots of GEVs nipping your heels you might have to backtrack and lob your missiles at them, if the force is spread out you might save them, or if your facing some thing that you have a good chance at killing let 'em rip. As always a missile that is destroyed in the launch tube is completely wasted.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
tomc

I use them right away so the tanks I destroy never get to hit me. With the MkV I often save one so the opponent has to respect the threat.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
As always a missile that is destroyed in the launch tube is completely wasted.
I wouldn't say it's completely wasted. If it was hit by your opponent then it soaked up some damage that would have gone to your treads or guns. Also, if it was targeted and missed that means it soaks up even more potential damage.

Only if you fired the missile and missed was it completely wasted.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Only if you fired the missile and missed was it completely wasted.
Hear! Hear! A man after my own heart. Given the number of Ogre targets you opponent has I believe it's worth the risk!
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
Shostak

I like to use the missiles early, at targets in the direction I intend to have the Ogre move. These targets should be ones against which I can get at least 3:1 odds, so that disabling is assured. Because disabled units are killed on a subsequent D result, on my next turn, I can move ahead and use guns against any disabled ones with a very high chance of a kill.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
HeatDeath

Missiles are worth sufficiently few victory points that it's perfectly legitimate to use them on one-AU conventional units. But if you're gonna do that, the best bet is to save them for units that are gonna cost you a significant amount of tread units over the course of their life, and that are not going to be easy or desirable to divert your advance to take out. Like HVYs that have gotten behind you, or MSL tanks that are way off to the side. GEVs that are hit-and-fading you with otherwise impunity (i.e. you're down to M2 and no MBs) are a good choice too.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #9
FJCestero

Best missile tactic? For a Mark-III use 'em early. Dead enemy don't shoot back. Time is your enemy. For a Mark-V things are a bit more tricky. Ogre's CRT is so bloody that whoever lands the first solid blow almost inevitably snowballs their way into a decisive victory. The best way to do this with a Mark-V isn't to use the six missiles to kill six enemy units. That won't do. What you should do is use the six missiles to blow away a flank of the enemy armor trying to surround you -- and then rush into that gap (and away from the rest of his forces). This makes his center your next threat and his far flank is out of the fight completely. Effectively, they've been utterly destroyed for a whole turn. The concept here is defeat in detail: you use the missiles to avoid his pile-on. This spreads his firepower out over time giving you more turns to shoot and him unable to get that critical mass of firepower he needs to bring you down before you can close on his CP.

Basically, with a Mark-III you use your missiles to whittle down his firepower. With a Mark-V you use your missiles to throw off his battle plan (to surround, pile on, and kill you).

Last edited by FJCestero; 06-21-2021 at 08:46 PM.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
Toltrin

The OGRE IF/THEN decisions:

If GEVs out of gun range and doing consistent damage then fire MSL at closest GEV.

If Howitzer in MSL range then fire MSL at howitzer.

If Objective in range then fire MSL for victory points.

If MSL in danger of being destroyed then use MSL on tough target that is between the OGRE and the objective.

Be free to add more IF/THEN logic programming for the OGRE. These are the big four I have used in solo play as well as playing against my Cousin.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote