Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #31
Bruno

Default Re: 4e rules { Sweeping blows by humans and by giants (SM+2) }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
So, you're implying that anything that causes large-area injury should be considered an area attack, ok?
No, I was answering the question "Where's the large-area injury rule?" from two people who were having trouble finding it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #32
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I don't see how B404 answers any of my questions. B404 has the rules for trampling, which appears to be a special kind of melee attack.
B392: "When a figure two or more hexes in size moves through a smaller one, treat it as a slam." My questions were essentially about this rule.
What would happen if an elephant came barreling toward you?

There's also Overrun on B432.

Last edited by Psychotime; 12-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #33
rkeith

sorry about the tag im new to this media
what i meant was "sweeping blow" being a baseball bat swing at your front hexes with less intent to hit a traget as to hit a location. In older sjgames such as TFT this attack was given a -4 to hit but you would roll once for each front hex. This is really weak and not very realistic because you could do max damage to three different oppenents in one swing.
I like the telegraphic attack for this +4 to hit (hitting a stationary location) but giving +2 to active defenses. But if you hit multiple opponents should you be able to exceed max damage by a weapon in one swing or should your swing be stopped upon reaching max damaged.
Also, if you do knockback is the opponent knocked directly awayor sideways into the next opponent. How do you handle that?
And if your weapon is really large. Such as a 15' tall (sm2, st35) giant could use a maul that weighs 22lbs and is 2 or 3 hexs long, which hexes would be effected? All front out to three hexes, just hexes 1&2 or 2&3 or 1or2or3?
If this was Ben Grimm swinging a telephone pole into a bunch of cannon fodder you knock them all out and move on but against PC's I'd like better rules.
rkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
Psychotime

How about you get a technique that makes an all out attack that hits everything in a half circle area starting from your dominant side to your opposite.

Like Whirlwind attack, the maneuver makes an individual attack on each target in order, and the first failure ends the maneuver.

And maybe this would only work for crushing attacks, because cutting attacks would just use Whirlwind Attack instead.

If you hit and the defender makes a parry or block, do a quick contest of ST. If you lose, the defense wins and the attack fails.

For weapons like Baseball Bats or Mauls I think knockback would only apply if you hit everyone in the area (going into the direction of your swing), or maybe for spaced out characters they'd take the knockback up to the point where the attack fails.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #35
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
How about you get a technique that makes an all out attack that hits everything in a half circle area starting from your dominant side to your opposite.

Like Whirlwind attack, the maneuver makes an individual attack on each target in order, and the first failure ends the maneuver.

And maybe this would only work for crushing attacks, because cutting attacks would just use Whirlwind Attack instead.

If you hit and the defender makes a parry or block, do a quick contest of ST. If you lose, the defense wins and the attack fails.

For weapons like Baseball Bats or Mauls I think knockback would only apply if you hit everyone in the area (going into the direction of your swing), or maybe for spaced out characters they'd take the knockback up to the point where the attack fails.
If you do it at 1 yard, just use Rapid Strike, and allow a perk to buy off some of that -12 penalty to hit all three. Actually, if you do it as a Combination, buying off some of that penalty doesn't even require a perk.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #36
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If you do it at 1 yard, just use Rapid Strike, and allow a perk to buy off some of that -12 penalty to hit all three. Actually, if you do it as a Combination, buying off some of that penalty doesn't even require a perk.
actually it kinda does, as only Weapon Master or Trained by a Master are allowed to improve combinations, let allow get accesses to the 3rd strike of Rapid Strike
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #37
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
actually it kinda does, as only Weapon Master or Trained by a Master are allowed to improve combinations, let allow get accesses to the 3rd strike of Rapid Strike
The number of Rapid Strikes is GM option (Martial Arts, p. 127) quite explicitly, and to the point that the book says that allowing a billion of them is self-limiting.

Combinations, Martial Arts p. 80, also explicitly allows them to be bought up, noting it in two different places.

My statement is entirely accurate, even in a realistic game. There's no Rapid Strike cap inherently, Combinations explicitly let you buy off the RS penalty at the trade of a specific, knowable series of attacks. TBaM and WM halve these penalties, true, but that's pretty much it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, size modifier