Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
Spudzill

Default Re: Art for games

BTW everyone I will do characters and the like for ya just go to the site and contact me. :)
Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
Storn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex
Very nice pencil work- you have a good eye for proportions and pose!
(color art is a little dark.. is it digital or traditional? could be just the scanner)
Nope, those two are digital and did come out a bit dark... the woman, that was intentional. I was working on my parents computer at the time, and I think I wasn't used to their monitor settings.
Storn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
Storn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudzill
I'm curious. Is using a website the best way to obtain commissions or is going in person? I ask because of this: www.Spudzill.com
I'm not sure what you mean by going in person.

I have certainly picked up clients at conventions like Gencon, and even small conventions like Ann Arbor's Ucon.

But starting threads like these are what has really sparked interest in my work. And the website is really necessary for that.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
Storn

Got a chance to play Prime Time Adventures last night. Here are some quickie sketches while at the table.

The genre/setting is a post apocalyptic world where the characters are trying to revive civilization... starting with the reclamation of Manhattan and most specifically the New York Public Library.

Mutants and overgrown, unknown jungles are outside of the 14 mile rock known as Manhattan.

The show is named "Lions at the Gate", in reference to Patience and Fortitude, the two marble lions that bracket the magnificient steps of the library.

All of our characters have greek naming conventions, which sorta evolved, but is kinda cool to me.

First up is Prometheus and Medea. JF's Prometheus is the tinkerer engineer who is more loyal to his brother who stole the secret of gunpowder from our Tribe and is distributing it to cannibals, mutants and despots outside of Tribe territory.

Jd's Medea was brought up as a cannibal, but learned to read...and that saved her life when she was captured by The Tribe. She is now the teacher to The Tribe's children and the most avid researcher at the Library.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Storn/PMloRes.jpg

Then there is B's Rion Greenwhich, a 'slinger, as in gunslinger, the rangers of The Tribe and caretakers of the secret of Black Powder. Rion is dubious about the Library's uses (the drain of The Tribe's food, manpower and resources is high). But is tied to my character as my father was his partner...and upon my pop's death, oaths to protect me were made. Not to mention, he just got roped into being the Council of Elders voice at the Library project.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35.../RyanloRes.jpg

Then there is Ulysses Station, my character. He might be a descendent of "The Founder", a woman with piercing green eyes and who managed to keep the spark of learning alive, while protecting or even creating The Tribe back in the black days of yore. Ulysses has evolving psychic abilities, further connecting him to The Founder's legacy... but a legacy he is unsure that he wants to step into. Can he make a life of his own choosing?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...yssesloRes.jpg
Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I finished Sakura last night but didn't get a chance to post her until today.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
Storn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
I finished Sakura last night but didn't get a chance to post her until today.
I'm not the biggest fan of 3d stuff, it has to be great for me to look twice... but that rocks pretty hard. Very cool stuff and thanks for posting it. I swiped it for my upcoming Mutants and Masterminds game.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn
I'm not the biggest fan of 3d stuff, it has to be great for me to look twice... but that rocks pretty hard. Very cool stuff and thanks for posting it. I swiped it for my upcoming Mutants and Masterminds game.
Thanks for the compliment. I suck so bad at art, the only way I get anything done is with 3d rendering. 99% of the work is already done for me.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
Hakubak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Thanks for the compliment. I suck so bad at art, the only way I get anything done is with 3d rendering. 99% of the work is already done for me.
I studied graphic art in college for a while - until my colorblindness got in the way. Graphic artists can be shameless about "leveraging" technology. Here are the laws:

Never paint what you can draw.
Never draw what you can trace.
Never trace what you can photocopy.
Never photocopy what you can cut out and hand in as-is.

This predates digital design. Cut/paste your own rules as you see fit.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
Storn

Here is J's immortal super who has been some surprising people in history.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Storn/R.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
Old 09-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #20
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

This is Violet, another character from my Super San Diego game.
I hate it when I have to convert to JPG, you lose so much detail, all the reflections get muted.

Edit: I changed her over the weekend and deleted the old picture.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 09-19-2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: update URL

Tags
art