Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
nuulak

Default battlesense ? from DF:14

question about battlesense from dungeon fantasy 14 - psis.

when looking at this power I can see that the power is 3 powers linked into one with those three being:

enhanced dodge + enhanced parry (all) + enhanced block. all three of these are listed seperately with psionic talent and only affects sapient beings.

my question is that in the fluff it mentions that it is switchable and costs fatigue but when I look at the advantages list it does not mention this. also when combining multiple advantages shouldn't this also have the linked modifier?

thank you.
nuulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: battlesense ? from DF:14

There's nothing underhanded going on. All psi abilities in DF 14 have the "Psionics" power modifier described on p. 5; this turns everything into a gift that costs FP to switch on. Link is only needed if the traits normally require a conscious effort to turn on. If you start adding Link and Switchable to every pair of normally passive advantages that are given a FP cost to use, they end up costing more than if you just had separate, always-on advantages without Costs Fatigue. Thus, you don't do that.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
nuulak

Thanks for the help kromm reading all of the modifies would of helped. Guess that will learn me.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Technically, the writeup is wrong. Only Enhanced Dodge should have the PM, the otehrs should have Accessibility, only while Enhanced Dodge is active (-10%), but in the end it happens to have the same cost. Now, it's simpler to write it as PM, and not worry about the details (after all, the full rules for the ability are presented above, the stats are only for those of us curious enough to look how it was built.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Technically, the writeup is wrong. Only Enhanced Dodge should have the PM, the otehrs should have Accessibility, only while Enhanced Dodge is active (-10%),
Hrm? Why would you do it that way?
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
nuulak

the reason I asked is because I thought that this power was a neat idea and I was just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of it so I can build it for a different campaign. from what I can see from the PM modifier I would have to break it down to a few more but I might just run the Psychic Modifier past my GM to see what he thinks... the drawback may be more than he is willing to accept in his world :-p
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
... Only Enhanced Dodge should have the PM, the otehrs should have Accessibility...
It's okay. The write-up for the PM is clear that the FP cost is per ability, not per trait in the ability.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Hrm? Why would you do it that way?
Because it's the way to have multiple always on traits become switchable, and only need a single action and a single switching on cost.

If you have 3 traits with costs fatigue, and want to activate them, you need to spend 3 actions and 3x individual activation cost. However, if they're always on traits normally, you could take one (usually the most expensive) and put Costs Fatigue in it, and limit the others, so they only work when the primary one is on.
My stuff on e23
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
It's okay. The write-up for the PM is clear that the FP cost is per ability, not per trait in the ability.
The Power Modifier is built as Costs Fatigue, -5% and Nuisance Effect, attracts Creatures from Beyond Time and Space, -5%. I know, things are a little more flexible, when it's a Power modifier, with enough fudging room to wiggle a little, but still...
My stuff on e23
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuulak View Post
the reason I asked is because I thought that this power was a neat idea and I was just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of it so I can build it for a different campaign. from what I can see from the PM modifier I would have to break it down to a few more but I might just run the Psychic Modifier past my GM to see what he thinks... the drawback may be more than he is willing to accept in his world :-p
Well, it's a perfectly good reason to look at the nuts and bolts then, and it's the reason why they put the exact trait write-up after the description. As someone who has been there, and done that, I'm just pointing on how these things should be built. Kromm has the authority to bend the rules a little on official publications, specially in DF (that not only uses a slightly simplified take on GURPS, but that is supposed to be a line where you usually only look at the end cost and description. Atill, here, the cost doesn't change one iota), and writers have some wiggle room on Pyramid, but still, we get our stats revised before publication.
My stuff on e23