Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
afschell

Default Weapons Expertise?

I've been searching this forum's threads and have seen this skill referenced but cannot find its definition.

Where is "Weapons Expertise" defined?

Thanks much.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
luguvalium

Default Re: Weapons Expertise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afschell View Post
I've been searching this forum's threads and have seen this skill referenced but cannot find its definition.

Where is "Weapons Expertise" defined?

Thanks much.
Try here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158491
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

How about I supply it? :)

Weapon Expertise (3). Expertise is a separate talent for each Weapon talent. For instance, an Expert Swordsman gets no bonus with axes or maces. Expertise applies only to hand weapons, but see the Missile Weapons skill.
Expertise with the dagger is a separate Expertise talent from expertise with the sword. Expertise with the sword also does not include fencing weapons, which have their own Expertise (see below).
• Bonus to hit. An Expert does +1 damage with weapons of the type, including thrown attacks if the weapon is throwable.
• Bonus to defend. All melee attacks against an Expert who has weapon in hand are at -1 DX. If an Expert chooses the Defend option, attackers must roll an extra die when attacking.
• Shrewd blow. An Expert may attack at -5 DX and do an extra die of damage.
Prerequisite: appropriate Weapon talent, DX 12 or more.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
afschell

Thank you both. It's making more sense now.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How about I supply it? :)

Weapon Expertise (3). Expertise is a separate talent for each Weapon talent. For instance, an Expert Swordsman gets no bonus with axes or maces. Expertise applies only to hand weapons, but see the Missile Weapons skill.
Expertise with the dagger is a separate Expertise talent from expertise with the sword. Expertise with the sword also does not include fencing weapons, which have their own Expertise (see below).
• Bonus to hit. An Expert does +1 damage with weapons of the type, including thrown attacks if the weapon is throwable.
• Bonus to defend. All melee attacks against an Expert who has weapon in hand are at -1 DX. If an Expert chooses the Defend option, attackers must roll an extra die when attacking.
• Shrewd blow. An Expert may attack at -5 DX and do an extra die of damage.
Prerequisite: appropriate Weapon talent, DX 12 or more.
I like the option of being able to switch DX for damage. But I would be even more happy if I could switch it for not getting hit. Making Defend option better is one way to go, but it will not be used in one on ones. Normally a good offence is the best defense. So what about a -5DX, and 4 die Defend option at the same time as attacking? In short 1 die harder to hit for 5DX? That would give soldiers a triple option; getting hit less often, getting more armor or hit harder for your extra DX?

And I would also set the Expert talent as one talent for all weapons that you have the prerequisites for. It is hard enough to get players to invest in more than one weapon. Often they might go with two and possibly a Knife. But this way they could be experts in both weapons and then get a very good pay off for a third or fourth one. The extra weapon expertise will not be unbalancing, it will mostly give a variety. If you are en expert with one or two weapons already, you will never use a third type that you "only" have the basic talent for. So the investment cost for a new weapon will basically be 2+3 points for a weapon you will only use a maximum of a third of the time…

And I am not sure I like the -1DX for attackers. It is a little bit fiddly to remember who has it and who doesn't. And if you go for -5DX and extra damage you should be easier to hit if anything. With the hybrid option of Defend(4dice)+Attack it wouldn't really be needed. The extra damage is ok, since you can remember that yourself and others doesn't have to take it into account all the time and remember it.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote