Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
mlangsdorf

Default Possessions Under Control (Pyramid v3 #83) and Magic Spells

My gaming group is planning to use Possessions Under Control from Pyramid v3 #83 in our next game, and I'm trying to figure out how to integrate it with GURPS Magic. Here's what I have so far:

Possession Spells
Control Person, Possession, Dispel Possession, Permanent Possession, Exchange Bodies, Loyalty, Charm, and Enslave are Possession spells for these rules.

All Possession spells have half their normal casting time, and when successfully cast, allow the caster to make Concentrate maneuvers while performing a mental grapple. The time spent in the mental grapple does not count against the spell duration, but the caster must make a Concentrate maneuver at least once per turn to continue the spell. If the caster does not, the spell lapses and the mental grapple fails.

Mental Grapples
Mental grapples follow the rules on p28 of PUC under the heading "Technical Possession." The attacker rolls against his effective skill in the spell (modified by casting time, gestures, target distance, etc) or technique and counts as having full bought up the
Possession technique. He may use any other Possession based technique normally.

Most Possession spells use the Average or Meditation track for Trained Will.

Exorcisms
Dispel Possession is a form of Exorcism. It can only be used to remove a Possession and uses the Fast or Exorcism track for Trained Will.

Do these rules make sense to everyone who already understands PUC? Are there any other spells that should be Possession spells? Is there anything that should be added or removed?

Last edited by mlangsdorf; 10-15-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: formatting
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Possessions Under Control (Pyramid v3 #83) and Magic Spells

I wrote up a couple sample combats using this rules: http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com...and-magic.html

The short take away: mind control is very powerful, and Possessions Under Control tampers that power with a lot of risk and uncertainty.

Tags
pyramid 3/83