Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #31
dripton

Default Re: A really big hex map

Those GNL hex maps look sweet, but the Kickstarter says "expected to ship August 2015", so I'm not impressed.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #32
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Those GNL hex maps look sweet, but the Kickstarter says "expected to ship August 2015", so I'm not impressed.
Yes, isn't there anecdotal evidence of many Kickstarters shipping late or not at all?

I am confident that I will get DFRPG on time.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #33
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
You go right ahead and be unimpressed. Anyone that wants to see how sausage is made...I mean products are brought to market, can read the blog about what has happened with the first company not being able to deliver, the search for a second company, jumping through hoops to get it done right, not accepting Changes To The Plan, etc. The perseverance of these guys to Do It Right is noteworthy. There is no indication that it isn't going to happen just that things got delayed by matters out of the control of GNL. And they have been in communication with their backers the entire time.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #34
dripton

I hope it works out. I might buy some if and when they're available.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #35
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
These are in the process of being brought to market.

http://www.gamenightlife.com/category-s/100.htm

Tiles printed with squares or (most importantly for GURPS) hexes.

Currently the project is funded and in the process of getting master samples for production - http://gamenightlife.blogspot.com/ for updates.

(Full disclosure - not a part of GNL but I did contribute to the Kickstarter - to my mind these are just cool and fit my needs as a GM)
Would almost be perfect except visually I don't like Horizontal hex maps. Don't know why. It's just a thing.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #36
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

So Highland Piper - you currently don't use the Tactical system on a hex map? Pretty sure the GNL hex mats would stick to a vertical steel sheet. Getting some magnets for minis/Cardboard Heroes/counters shouldn't be a show stopper....
Old 11-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
lachimba

Wow my Chessex maps arrived already!

I picked the cheapest slowest mail and that seems to have led to it arriving at the same speed, if not faster, that the most expensive and fastest option.

Packing was good and they seemed to arrive in nice condition.

My bodgy measurements were way off. Depending on the table I use it's at least four to six hexes one way and maybe one to three the other. I don't know why they don't make the hexes go right to the edge either, perhaps printing issues or room to make notes?

I'm not going to start hacking at it until I can place it on some other tables to see if this going to happen all over the place. I wouldn't want to find it exactly fits my friend's table after I hack at it! I have my first GURPS game in years, but intended to go mapless so I might just take it just for measurements.

While I would still like to have the $USD the smaller battlemap costs I have no doubt I will get some use out of it if not eventually regifting or reselling. Also I could just treat it like $h&t, taking it everywhere loaning it out and get the most out of it because I have the megamat as the one to look after.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a1 paper, battle map, gurps, maps