Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Duplication: Mirror Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
[snip] I'd say that the initial repositioning of the real you can be a Special Effect, as long as it can't be used to Dodge an attack (in which case a single instance, linked, Warp (Blink) would seem to do the trick).[snip]
But it's slightly useful, with no downside that I can see... and increasingly useful with greater numbers of Dupes... I'd call it a +5% or so on Duplication itself, if it doesn't provide a Dodge and only works when Duplication is activated.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
But it's slightly useful, with no downside that I can see... and increasingly useful with greater numbers of Dupes... I'd call it a +5% or so on Duplication itself, if it doesn't provide a Dodge and only works when Duplication is activated.
Perhaps.

There is nothing which says which 'Dupe' is the real you. I'm pretty sure I've seen examples in tv/movies where a character has duplicates appear (illusions or physical), and the dupe standing where the original was standing isn't the 'real' one.

As a combat ability, creating dupes to 'fool the enemy' is pretty weak if the 'enemy' just has to track which was the real you from the start.

I'm not saying that's how the GURPS advantage is supposed to work, but I'm not sure as a GM I'd charge extra for the real you being located as one of the dupes which 'appeared', I see that as a perfectly reasonable special effect of the ability.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Bruno

I think that Duplication is meant as a force multiplier/action economy multiplier, more than as a deception. The co-location facet, which allows you to surround an enemy or literally apply the saying "Many hands make light work" can't be disregarded.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Yeah, given how much use you can get out of Duplication outside combat, it's just the reasoning behind the price break of Maximum Duration. Without it, you generally just duplicate before going onto a mission.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think that Duplication is meant as a force multiplier/action economy multiplier, more than as a deception. The co-location facet, which allows you to surround an enemy or literally apply the saying "Many hands make light work" can't be disregarded.
Absolutely, but the deception part was the relevant point for the original 'you' shifting to be part of the 'ring of dupes' (or triangle of dupes).
Also, your description of the ability you're trying the model seems designed as a deception - you use it to delay a powerful opponent while they deal with the 'fakes'!

Without the Construct Enhancement or Sequential Limitation (both from Powers), the original Duplication advantage does not define a true 'you'. Construct seems made for part deception (as well as the 'many hands' part), since there is a definite real you. Sequential is basically for the old 3e Fugue ability, with or without Construct it defines a true 'you'.

Either way, I don't see the need for an extra -5% (or whatever) to disguise which was the real you at the point when you actually Duplicate - so I have no problem with allowing the shift as part of the Special Effect, perhaps limited to a Step or your Move? so you're not gaining anything extra you couldn't have achieved in the 1 second activation.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplication, mirror image, powers