Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
Phalanx

Default Judas Iscariot as the first vampire?

While preparing an urban fantasy/horror campaign I came up with this idea. That Judas was cursed by God for his betrayal and become the first vampire as a result. Would it be stretchy to associate Judas with vampires and look silly? Or could it work?

Apart from the question why Judas and his descendants would get supernatural powers, although it would be a curse.
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Judas Iscariot as the first vampire?

It doesn't seem that different from VtM's variant where Caine is.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
While preparing an urban fantasy/horror campaign I came up with this idea. That Judas was cursed by God for his betrayal and become the first vampire as a result. Would it be stretchy to associate Judas with vampires and look silly? Or could it work?

Apart from the question why Judas and his descendants would get supernatural powers, although it would be a curse.
It's been done a few times before (Dracula 2000, The Librarian and the Curse of the Judas Chalice). It gives an explanation for some vampire weaknesses. Silver because of the thirty pieces of silver, wooden stake because of the tree he hanged himself on (and you might make it so it has to be the same type of tree), sun because it's representative of God.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Anders

Also drinking blood as a perverted version of the Eucharist. And why they're afraid of crosses.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Also drinking blood as a perverted version of the Eucharist. And why they're afraid of crosses.
You can throw running water (an underused weakness IMO) into the mix, as Jesus is sometimes referred to as "the water of life" or similar (or at least the Holy Spirit is), and looking it up the term used can literally mean "running water." Needing to ask permission before entering a dwelling could be interpreted as closely related to the way Jesus and his Apostles would often stay with loyal families and the like during their travels. Indeed, seeing as a lot of (Western) vampire weaknesses are specifically associated with Christianity, setting Judas as the first vampire makes a great deal of sense. Also, decapitation could be a reference of sorts to his suicide by hanging - vampirism is akin to a spiritual noose fixed about the vampire's neck, and the only way to remove it is to separate the head from the shoulders (a bit hard to untie or cut a spiritual rope).

So, yeah, Judas as first vampire? It works, and works well.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It doesn't seem that different from VtM's variant where Caine is.
I did an interesting twist on the 'Caine is the first vampire idea' in one my fanfics (Creatures of Darkness: Caine was the result of an effort by a Sanjiyan Unkara (see GURPS 3x3 Eyes for what this is) to have an army of, rather then just one Wu, using lifeforce as a way to create more.

As for the difference, stories of vampires predate Judas Iscariot by centuries so where exactly did these stories come from and why do they line up so well with Judas Iscariot and his "Children"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You can throw running water (an underused weakness IMO) into the mix, as Jesus is sometimes referred to as "the water of life" or similar (or at least the Holy Spirit is), and looking it up the term used can literally mean "running water." Needing to ask permission before entering a dwelling could be interpreted as closely related to the way Jesus and his Apostles would often stay with loyal families and the like during their travels. Indeed, seeing as a lot of (Western) vampire weaknesses are specifically associated with Christianity, setting Judas as the first vampire makes a great deal of sense. Also, decapitation could be a reference of sorts to his suicide by hanging - vampirism is akin to a spiritual noose fixed about the vampire's neck, and the only way to remove it is to separate the head from the shoulders (a bit hard to untie or cut a spiritual rope).

So, yeah, Judas as first vampire? It works, and works well.
Actually per the actual vampire myths Judas as the first vampire does not work at all - he is far too young - vampire myths go back as far as Ancient Egypt thousands of years before Judas was even born. In fact, there is a story in Jewish Folklore about Adam having a wife before Eve names Lilith. Because she wouldn't take a subordinate role to Adam she and eventually left Eden of her own accord and become the mother of all demons...including the Lilim or Lilitu

"Her progeny were the (in reference to the more ancient Babylonian myth), and they were thought to be vampiric demons themselves." - GURPS Blood Types.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 02-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
mr beer

I think I've seen this idea before in a novel. Anyway, it's decent enough lore...works for me.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
As for the difference, stories of vampires predate Judas Iscariot by centuries so where exactly did these stories come from and why do they line up so well with Judas Iscariot and his "Children"?
Do they even? There are older legends of undead that sicken or eat the living, but most of this specific stuff we're discussing here dates back to the very late Mediaeval period at earliest, and some to the script of Nosferatu in 1922.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Good old Nosferatu, the most culturally impactful illegal plagiarism I know of/

What exactly a vampire is is not that easy to answer after all. Most modern Americans would probably list killed or at least hurt by sunlight as a fundamental feature.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Phantasm

I've used Judas as one of the four Originator vampires (the other three being Cain son of Enlil and Eve, Longinus, and Vlad Tepes Dracula), with Judas's bloodline being much like the vampires as seen in the Blade trilogy and SpikeTV series (though without that "pureblood" nonsense).

As has been said, it's been done before several times. The trick is to not make it cliche.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote