Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
DwarvenHeart

Default The importance of an over all goal/climax to a campaign?...

Will a campaign lose playability without an overall goal/climax? Loofy had the One Piece, Sam & Dean (Supernatural) had the demon, and even GURPS for dummies mentions how a mastermind behind 90% of the bad happenings is more interesting than a bunch of random things.

I'm a novice GM and have done some homework on learning what type of players I have and what motivates them. The themes to be in my fantasy campaign include: Blue collar/working stiff, a ride they can build on (ship), the badass crew, and PC item creation. I've also decided to start the party off at a low CP build. My hope is play the chracters from the beginning of their tale where most of their advantages/disadvantages have been made in game. So they've lived the PC's life. They loved the idea and are very excited to start playing.

I'm afraid it might end up like Shadowrun where every adventure is a run for some Johnson and once it's over, it's time for another one.

Since I've rambled, I'll repeat the question:
Can a campaign stay interesting enough to play without the overall goal at the end of the story?
DwarvenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign advice, climax, goal, new gm, story