Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Anders

Default Vacuum-Tube Monster Hunters

What kind of modifications would you have to make to play Monster Hunters in the roaring 20's?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Vacuum-Tube Monster Hunters

Not much. You'd need to alter a few skills, but not much more. The techs might be even more useful in a world where tech isn't as good as we are used to.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
NorphTehDwarf

I'd reduce tech items' power consumption, size, and efficiency-- they'd weigh more and use more juice and take more time to set up but be functionally the same.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
PK

I would launch into a whirl of suggestions for you, but I'd be doing C. R. Rice a disservice. His "Pulp Hunters!" article from Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters did an excellent job of describing the changes you'll need to make to the templates, gear, and rules found in MH1 and MH2. (And yes, I did sign off on the article and even had a bit of input into its creation.) I'd strongly recommend checking it out rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure you'll have to add some things to get the feel you're looking for, but it's definitely the place to start.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I would launch into a whirl of suggestions for you, but I'd be doing C. R. Rice a disservice. His "Pulp Hunters!" article from Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters did an excellent job of describing the changes you'll need to make to the templates, gear, and rules found in MH1 and MH2. (And yes, I did sign off on the article and even had a bit of input into its creation.) I'd strongly recommend checking it out rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure you'll have to add some things to get the feel you're looking for, but it's definitely the place to start.
And of course, Loadouts: Monster Hunters has a TL6 kit.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
What kind of modifications would you have to make to play Monster Hunters in the roaring 20's?
I don't like pushing my stuff, tooting my horn, and all that. But I pretty much handmade that article for Hunters in this particular era. I might have left out a few odds and ends but most of what you need should be there. I recommend a copy of GURPS Cliffhangers however and at least GURPS High-Tech to really get the feel. GURPS Pulp Guns 1& 2 will prove useful and as I also playtested GURPS Adventure Guns I suggest that when it comes. It was so well researched and damn near-perfect that his gun statistics were impeachable as the playtesters poked and prodded the book.

I'd be happy to try and help with any other questions you might have.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
And of course, Loadouts: Monster Hunters has a TL6 kit.
Yeah, that's a given! (at least for me) I use that book in two out of four of my campaigns if that says anything...

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
pieclone

I'm actually running this at the moment as my "light" game - I'd agree with everything above - 3e Cliffhangers, Pyramid #3/08 Cliffhangers and #3/31 Monster Hunters, High Tech, Gun Fu, Pulp Guns 1 & 2 are all very helpful (I also use a few other Pyramid issues - Cinematic Locations and Underwater Adventures). I've also cracked open some other 3e goldies - Places of Mystery is great for this sort of thing - hunting Ifrits between the pillars of Irem with a very unsubtle rip-off of Rick O'Connell and so forth.

edit - and of course the Loadouts HANS did for Monster Hunters (TL6) are epic.
pieclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't like pushing my stuff, tooting my horn, and all that. But I pretty much handmade that article for Hunters in this particular era. I might have left out a few odds and ends but most of what you need should be there. I recommend a copy of GURPS Cliffhangers however and at least GURPS High-Tech to really get the feel. GURPS Pulp Guns 1& 2 will prove useful and as I also playtested GURPS Adventure Guns I suggest that when it comes. It was so well researched and damn near-perfect that his gun statistics were impeachable as the playtesters poked and prodded the book.

I'd be happy to try and help with any other questions you might have.

Ghostdancer
Thank you. My problem isn't ideas, it's follow-through so it's possible that nothing will come of this. But I'm getting tired of running fantasy games.

Edit: Anyone know how much a GURPS dollar would be in early 1920s America?

Last edited by Anders; 06-26-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Anyone know how much a GURPS dollar would be in early 1920s America?
With the knowledge that a GURPS dollar is equal to a 2004 US dollar, this site is all you need. For 1920, it's roughly 11¢.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, pyramid 3/31