Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Shin Majin

Default Weapons for other sizes...

How does a being's Size Modifier influence the specs of its weapons?

Take, for example, a Size Modifier +2 giant with a ST of 26 (for purposes of this example, we'll assume this is normal for a giant of this size.)

According to the basic set, a being with an ST that high would be able to use most, if not all, two-handed melee weapons with only one hand...

But what about a maul designed for giants to use two-handed? It would obviously require a higher ST to wield properly...but would that change its damage? Its reach?
Shin Majin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Weapons for other sizes...

GURPS Fantasy has scaling rules for Giant weapons, and IIRC offers two options, one based on hewing closer to physics, and one based on peoples expectations (built by disney cartoons and fantasy art).

Dungeon Fantasy 3 has it's own scaling rules, but I wouldn't recommend them for general use as they're based more on enforcing "genre stereotypes" than on any sort of realism, and are closely related to the ST choices on the racial templates for DF3. If you ARE running a DF game and using the DF races, they're great.

Rev. P. Kitty has good rules for giant weapons on his website that I can recommend, too. Plus, free :D

And of course, one of the GURPS Lowtech Companion will have the "generic" scaling rules for big and small races in them... once they finally get released.

The short version, is that yes, bigger/heavier weapons will definitely do more damage.

EDIT: P. Kitty's approach is based on the minimum Strength required to wield the weapon and the size of the weapon is one of the results, whereas the Fantasy and Dungeon Fantasy approaches are focused on the size of the character, where raising minimum ST required is one of the results.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Shin Majin

Many thanks...I assume this applies in reverse for smaller humanoids, and the like?
Shin Majin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Dalzig

There's not really much need for it to apply for smaller humanoids. They are already dealing damage proportional to their ST and SM. If you want them to wield a "small shortsword," then you can just give them a small knife and be done with it.
Dalzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

And of course, one of the GURPS Lowtech Companion will have the "generic" scaling rules for big and small races in them... once they finally get released.
Yet another thread answered with GURPS Low-Tech. I *cannot* wait for this to be available!!

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
Yet another thread answered with GURPS Low-Tech. I *cannot* wait for this to be available!!
I've got the fully edited drafts of Low Tech and the Companions (Worst. Band name. Ever.) on my hard drive, and I still can't wait for it to be available.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzig View Post
There's not really much need for it to apply for smaller humanoids. They are already dealing damage proportional to their ST and SM. If you want them to wield a "small shortsword," then you can just give them a small knife and be done with it.
Well not really - the small knife has an excessively large handle and crosspiece for the hands a 2' tall fae critter, which means there's a lot of wasted extra weight for someone who's ST 4 or ST 3, and probably that 2' tall fae won't be able to get a good grip on it no matter how strong he is and even if he's using two hands.

And yes, the concept definitely applies in reverse - there's a mechanical problem in GURPS though, in that once you get below a certain size the "roll damage for Strength, then add or subtract based on weapon" model rapidly turns into "roll 1d-5 because your Strength is low, and then subtract a whole bunch because your weapon is tiny" and basically you're falling below the resolution of the GURPS system to support. Two 4" pixies can run each other through with their 2" long broadswords, but GURPS can't show that without getting into lots of house rules for pixies with a quarter of a hitpoint each and weapons doing tenths of a hitpoint damage, and similar tiny things.

As long as you don't need to go down that far, though, it works fine. Just watch out for that bottom end.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
GURPS Fantasy has scaling rules for Giant weapons, and IIRC offers two options, one based on hewing closer to physics, and one based on peoples expectations (built by disney cartoons and fantasy art).
Are you speaking about "Behind the Curtain: How Strong Is a Giant?" (GURPS Fantasy, p. 51)? To my knowledge that isn't about weapons but only about the raw strength of massive creatures (I would like to be wrong, though).

I never found any scaling rules for giant weapons in GURPS Fantasy . . . so I keep waiting for 4e GURPS Low-Tech.

Besides the mention you're making of Dungeon Fantasy, the closer thing I can think currently is "Big Weapons" in GURPS Supers, p. 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I've got the fully edited drafts of Low Tech and the Companions (Worst. Band name. Ever.) on my hard drive, and I still can't wait for it to be available.
Well, at least we're unofficially informed it is advancing towards its goal by having reached the layout process. It's a painful wait, nevertheless, because the book(s) are so much needed.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Low Tech and the Companions (Worst. Band name. Ever.)
Just call them the Luddites :)
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
vierasmarius

Going back to the OP's mention of a high-ST character wielding a normally 2H weapon in one hand... how would that interact with the limitation on maximum effective ST? As I read it, max ST = 3xmin ST, whether that's ST, ST† or ST‡. That would mean that a ST40 giant could wield a naginata (ST 9†) in two hands at effective ST27, or in one hand at full ST (one-handed use doubles min ST). This seems to be the opposite of what one would expect.

Hmm. Now that I look at the Basic Set, it doesn't say that how it's wielded actually changes min ST, only that if you have double min ST you can use it one-handed without penalty. Though that still means that a naginata (ST 9†) has a lower max ST than a theoretical big-a** sword (ST 18) despite requiring effectively the same strength to use. Anyone have thoughts on this? Is there some distinguishing feature of two-handed weapons beyond just bulk and weight?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size modifier, weapons