Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-01-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
Whitestreak

Default Re: experimenting with Villains and Vigilantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Did they roll the random power first or last? Or as they chose?
They could choose when the random roll was made.

A few rolled first, in order to make choices that fit.

Others picked in the middle of, or at the end of, the power selection. Most made things potentially hilarious, and there was lots of laughing throughout the campaign.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:52 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
Others picked in the middle of, or at the end of, the power selection. Most made things potentially hilarious, and there was lots of laughing throughout the campaign.
I don't think I would enjoy that in a campaign I ran; I'm mostly grimly serious about worldbuilding and roleplaying. But if you were all enjoying it, more power to you!

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #13
Whitestreak

Quote:
I don't think I would enjoy that in a campaign I ran; I'm mostly grimly serious about worldbuilding and roleplaying. But if you were all enjoying it, more power to you!
Oh, it was a blast!

I had some struggles to deal with the oddball combinations at times, but it worked.

All those who didn't roll randomly first admitted that they would carry out a random roll first, if it ever came up again. I wasn't involved in that, as I transferred back to the US about 7 months later. I did take copies of the character sheets with me, just in case.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
It should probably be noted that such bizarre humor is not limited to randomly rolled games. Champions might be the primary ancestor of all point buy games and my Champions 1e long-running games featured heroes such as Captain Deltoid, Pizzaman, Ronnie Raygun, The D.W.A.R.F Mk V and Bubble Boy.

If Bubble Boy doesn't _sound_ that odd "seeing" him perpetually contained within his 18 meter wide bubble and using his primary means of mobility and attack (which was bouncing).....well, that was odd.

That was just the heroes too and I was only partly responsible for designing/ naming some of them. I was basically responsible for the villains like the Clone Operated Brigade for Raids and Assaults (yes, their costumes did include plastic snake heads, Why do you ask?). The exception is the Pac-Man Droid which I _had_ to invent to try and eat its' way into Bubble Boy's protective shell. Bubble Boy's creator should take partial blame for that.

Anyway, not a random character concept in sight.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:11 AM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It should probably be noted that such bizarre humor is not limited to randomly rolled games. Champions might be the primary ancestor of all point buy games and my Champions 1e long-running games featured heroes such as Captain Deltoid, Pizzaman, Ronnie Raygun, The D.W.A.R.F Mk V and Bubble Boy.
Quite a while ago, probably back in the 20th, an event I set up for Comic-Con in San Diego was a "superhero design" contest, in which all designs were to be done in Champions. I don't remember, now, the design that was chosen as the overall winner. But I have never forgotten Dead Elvis, a character who had limitations that went with being dead, but who had insane Charisma and an army of devoted followers . . . It was such a twisted concept, and the design showed such ingenuity, that we gave it some sort of special award.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Quite a while ago, probably back in the 20th, an event I set up for Comic-Con in San Diego was a "superhero design" contest, in which all designs were to be done in Champions. I don't remember, now, the design that was chosen as the overall winner. But I have never forgotten Dead Elvis, a character who had limitations that went with being dead, but who had insane Charisma and an army of devoted followers . . . It was such a twisted concept, and the design showed such ingenuity, that we gave it some sort of special award.
Champions was the original "You can build anything you can think of... and people did" game system.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:53 PM   #17
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
But I have never forgotten Dead Elvis, a character who had limitations that went with being dead, but who had insane Charisma and an army of devoted followers . . . It was such a twisted concept, and the design showed such ingenuity, that we gave it some sort of special award.
I have heard the legends of Dead Elvis, from other people there. It is a great character.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I have heard the legends of Dead Elvis, from other people there. It is a great character.
It was one of the best things that happened at Comic-Con while I was in charge of programming.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:

V&V has long had a reputation for producing really ill-assorted power sets that don't add up to coherent character concepts,.
It's a reputation that doesn't match my experience. So I believe I'll revive the Character a Day thread and demonstrate that if you follow a sensible rolling strategy, you will mostly produce coherent character concepts.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #20
ravenfish

Arguably, many classic superheroes don't actually have a very coherent power set. Flight, mighty strength, and heat rays would not seem at all related if we hadn't had the better part of a century to get used to Superman.