Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #41
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm not sure how you got his base ST of 25 (before Super-ST) for 125 pts. I'd think 150.
Look a little closer. His ST is 35/125, the amount of points spent is 150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm pondering the TK summons. I suspect it could be an AA to Flight, since those seem like facets of the same ability and he can't use both at the same time. If his hammer wasn't usable by others (i.e. didn't have gadget limitations allowing it to be taken and used against him), I'd do that.
He needs to have the hammer in his hands to be able to fly or summon lightning. Since, in any situation in which he'd be able to pull his hammer, he already wouldn't be able to fly, I'd consider it a point crock to count it as an AA. Also, your phrasing is ambiguous enough that I don't know if you realized this already, but his hammer isn't usable by others.

To the whole conversation about whether or not he'd be able to get drunk: I agree it's not that big a deal, but I did like the idea of making it vodka instead. I'm replacing his Professional Skill (Brewer) with Professional Skill (Distiller).

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 07-23-2020 at 01:57 AM.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #42
AlexanderHowl

ST 35/125 is an odd number because costs you 550 CP. ST 31/170 instead costs 540 CP, giving you higher Super ST and 10 extra CP (which you can use to purchase HP+5, if you want). I would personally suggest the latter over the former, but that is a personal preference. I would also suggest Pact, Code of Honor, -10%, for any ability granted by the hammer, as only the worthy can lift it (as a special effect, anyone unworthy has a ST 0 when attempting to lift the hammer).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 AM   #43
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
ST 35/125 is an odd number because costs you 550 CP. ST 31/170 instead costs 540 CP, giving you higher Super ST and 10 extra CP (which you can use to purchase HP+5, if you want). I would personally suggest the latter over the former, but that is a personal preference. I would also suggest Pact, Code of Honor, -10%, for any ability granted by the hammer, as only the worthy can lift it (as a special effect, anyone unworthy has a ST 0 when attempting to lift the hammer).
ST 125 is the score I wanted him to have. If I'd wanted him to have ST 170, I would have given him ST 170. You also need ST33 to be able to use an SM+2-equivalent maul. I didn't want him to always have to be using his super-ST just to swing his hammer around.

There is nothing related to worthiness here. It's just on the wrong side of being too magical to fit in the setting. Of course, Mjolnir is made of ultra-dense metal and weighs 75 pounds, so most people won't be able to use it.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:33 AM   #44
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Question regarding my Wasp build. As you may have seen, her Flight advantage is significantly over the -80% disadvantage limit. This isn't a huge deal (in a situation like this, accuracy is better than pure efficiency or effectiveness), but I do generally dislike "wasted" limitations, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I saw the suggestion of adding Reliable, which could work, but I'm not sure it would 100% make sense, so opinions on that would also be appreciated.
I would eliminate Breakable and Winged (at SM-10, I don't really consider them individually targetable), and replace them with Temporary Disad: Electrical.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #45
naloth

Quote:
He needs to have the hammer in his hands to be able to fly or summon lightning. Since, in any situation in which he'd be able to pull his hammer, he already wouldn't be able to fly, I'd consider it a point crock to count it as an AA.
Sure, as written that's true. I'd make it more like Indy's hat - nothing magical, nothing truly unique about it. It would just be something fundamental to his image (signature gear), a crutch for using some abilities (Temp Disad: One Hand or No Fine Manipulators), no gadget limits, and then (as entirely innate abilities) part of an AA group.

Quote:
Also, your phrasing is ambiguous enough that I don't know if you realized this already, but his hammer isn't usable by others.
If I understand the limitations correctly the powers look like they aren't (easy) usable, but the maul itself Can be Stolen and swung around by anyone strong enough.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #46
awesomenessofme1

Iron Man

Height: 6’1” (7’ in armor)
Weight: 220 lb (600 lb in armor)
Hair: Black, short
Eyes: Blue
Uniform: Red-and-gold powered armor.
Powers: Naturally, none. With the Iron Man suit: Superhuman strength allowing him to lift approximately five tons. Armor giving effective immunity to small-arms fire and resistance to heavy weapons. Flight at speeds close to 500 mph. Built-in weapons. Various secondary abilities.
Skills: Expert engineer with a wide range of specialties. Competent as a CEO. Good interpersonal skills when he cares enough to try.

Tony Stark’s engineering genius became apparent from an early age. He was building computers and robots from scratch before his 10th birthday, and he refurbished his first car at age 14. He attended MIT for a few years before dropping out because he all of his classes bored him and he knew he didn’t really need the degree because of the family business. This caused a huge argument with his father Howard, which was left unresolved after his parents’ untimely deaths in an accident. This thrust Stark into the CEO position at a very young age, a position he has performed competently in. He delegates most of the business side of things, preferring to spend his time on personal projects and partying.

In early 2002, Stark went to Afghanistan to demonstrate a new weapon he was planning to sell to the US military. After a successful demonstration, on his way back to the airport, the convoy he was riding in was attacked by militants, and he was captured. In the fight, an exploding IED had launched shrapnel into his chest, only kept from his heart by an electromagnet. He only survived thanks to the medical skills of another prisoner, Yinsen. Along with Yinsen, he was able to secretly construct his first prototype of the Iron Man suit and escape his captors. In the years since, he’s put a great deal of investigation into why he was targeted, since he thinks it was too organized to have been random or opportunistic. Stark was a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man [855]

Attributes [125]
ST 12 (L80,S60) [20]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 12 [20]
Damage 1d-1/1d+2 (7d-1/9d)
BL 29 lb (1280 lb)
HP 12 [0]
Will 13 [-5]
Per 11 [-15]
FP 12 [0]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5]
Basic Move 6 (9) [0]
Air Move 15/240 [0]
Dodge 9
SM0 (+1 in suit)

Advantages [696]
3D Spatial Sense (Requires signal, -20%; Helmet, -45%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [3]
Air Move+3 (Flight System, -55%) [3]
Appearance (Handsome) [12]
Artificer 4 [40]
Basic Move+3 (Armor, -55%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [6]
Burning Attack 4d (Increased 1/2D x2, +5%; Increased Range x3, +20%; Jet, +0%; Variable, +5%; Weapon, -50%) [16]
Burning Attack 1d (Cyclic (6 1-second cycles), +500%, Follow-Up, +25%, Weapon, -50%) [29]
Crushing Attack 8d (Double Knockback, +20%; Increased 1/2D x10, +15%; Armor Divisor (0.5), -30%; Inaccurate 1, -5%; Reduced Range x1/5, -20%; Weapon, -50%) [12]
Damage Reduction (5; Armor, -55%) [57]
Doesn’t Breathe (Oxygen Storage x200, -20%; Helmet, -45%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [6]
DR40 (Hardened 2, +40%; Can’t wear armor, -40%; Armor, -55%) [90]
Enhanced Move (Air) 4 ( Flight System, -55%) [36]
Enhanced Tracking 3 (Multiple Lock-Ons, +20%; Helmet, -45%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [11]
External ST+48 (Size, -10%; Armor, -55%, Breakable (Machine), -5%) [116]
Flight (Flight System, -55%) [18]
Gadgeteer [25]
Independent Income 10 [10]
Infravision (Helmet, -45%, Breakable (Machine), -5%) [5]
Less Sleep 2 [4]
Lifting ST+20 (Size, -10%; Armor, -55%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [18]
Lightning Calculator [2]
Nictitating Membrane 10 (Helmet, -45%) [6]
Piercing Attack 3d (Accurate 3, +15%; Alternative Enhancements (Rapid Fire (RoF 10, Selective Fire), Rapid Fire (RoF 30, Very Rapid Fire)), +182%; AP Ammo, +20%; Increased 1/2D x2, +5%; Increased Range x5, +20%; Weapon, -50%) [44]
Pressure Support 1 (Armor, -55%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [2]
Radio (Secure, +20%; Short-Wave, +50%; Video, +40%; Helmet, -45%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [16]
Sealed (Armor, -55%) [7]
Status 5 [15] ¹
Temperature Tolerance 10 (-25°F to 150°F; Armor, -55%; Breakable (Machine), -5%) [4]
Vacuum Support (Armor, -55%) [3]
Versatile [5]
Wealth (Multimillionaire 1) [75]

Perks [2]
Penetrating Voice [1]
Striking Surface [1]

Disadvantages [-60]
Compulsive Carousing (12) [-5]
Curious (15) [-2]
Electrical (Mitigator, -70%) [-6]
Impulsiveness (15) [-5]
Lecherousness (12) [-15]
Odious Personal Habit (Narcissism) [-5]
Secret Identity [-20]
Selfish (15) [-2]

Quirks [-4]
Attentive [-1]
Chauvinistic [-1]
Drinker [-1]
Insensitive [-1]

Skills [96]
Acting-13 [1]
Administration-13 [1]
Aerobatics-13 [4] ²
Area Knowledge (Malibu)-14 [1]
Area Knowledge (NYC)-14 [1]
Area Knowledge (USA)-14 [1]
Armoury/TL8 (Battlesuit)-18 [2] ³
Battlesuit/TL8-13 [8]
Brawling-12 [2]
Carousing-12 [1]
Chemistry/TL8-12 [1]
Computer Operation/TL8-14 [1]
Computer Programming/TL8-13 [2]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Science and Technology)-14 [1]
Detect Lies-10 [2]
Driving/TL8 (Automobile)-11 [2]
Electrician/TL8-18 [2] ³
Electronics Operation (Communications)-13 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Scientific)-13 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security)-13 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Communications)-17 [1] ³
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Computers)-17 [1] ³
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Scientific)-17 [1] ³
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security)-17 [1] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Artillery)-16 [1] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Battlesuit)-18 [4] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Electrical)-16 [1] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Electronics)-17 [2] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Materials)-16 [1] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Robotics)-18 [4] ³
Engineer/TL8 (Small Arms)-16 [1] ³
Explosives/TL8 (Demolitions)-13 [1]
Fast-Talk-14 [2]
Gambling-13 [1]
Innate Attack (Beam)-14 [8]
Judo-10 [2]
Jumping-11 [1]
Machinist/TL8-18 [2] ³
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied)-14 [4]
Mechanic/TL8 (Automobile)-18 [2] ³
Mechanic/TL8 (Battlesuit)-18 [2] ³
Mechanic/TL8 (Robotics)-18 [2] ³
Metallurgy/TL8-12 [1]
Navigation/TL8 (Air)-16 [1] ⁴
Navigation/TL8 (Land)-16 [1] ⁴
Physics/TL8-13 [4]
Public Speaking-14 [2]
Research/TL8-14 [2]
Sex Appeal-16 [2] ⁵
Swimming-12 [1]
Tactics-12 [1]

1 – includes +2 from Wealth (Multimillionaire 1)
2 – includes +2 from 3D Spatial Sense
3 – includes +4 from Artificer
4 – includes +3 from 3D Spatial Sense
5 – includes +4 from Appearance (Handsome)

List of Gadget shorthands
Armor (-55%): Breakable (DR25, SM+1), -30%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Helmet (-45%): Breakable (DR25, SM-4), -20%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Flight System (-55%): Breakable (DR25, SM-2, Machine), -30%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Weapon (-50%): Breakable (DR25, SM-3, Machine), -25%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 02-28-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #47
naloth

Quote:

List of Gadget shorthands
Armor (-55%): Breakable (DR25, SM+1), -30%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Helmet (-45%): Breakable (DR25, SM-4), -20%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Flight System (-55%): Breakable (DR25, SM-2, Machine), -30%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
Weapon (-50%): Breakable (DR25, SM-3, Machine), -25%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Nuisance Effect (Real armor), -5%; Superscience, -10%
I've always built gadgets by taking a real, purchasable item, seeing what abilities I want to assign, the taking gadget limitations on those abilities.

I'm not sure what (if any) underlying item you based this on. Basic has a few modern types of armor, plenty of primitive armors you can make with modern tech, and a few environmental suits. Choosing one will allow you to stack whatever advantages on top of the normal abilities (or DR) of the suit.

Breakable DR 25 also seems a bit odd, since the suit provides the wearer with more DR than that.

Nuisance Effect effectively means that he gets an additional penalty (roughly equal to a -1 reaction) on top of whatever he would get by wearing an item of this type normally.

Stolen is good but did you intend for anyone that gets it to be able to put on the suit and use it normally?

I'd suggest swapping superscience for maintenance or something similar. Stark usually has tech that others can't easily shut off.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #48
AlexanderHowl

I think that Stark is wealthier than Multimillionaire 1. He is worth over $12 billion which, at a 4% annualized return after taxes, gives him $40 million a month of income. That would either be Independent Income 2 with Multimillionaire 2 or Independent Income 20 with Multimillionaire 1. Since the former gives him 10x as much money for his toys and, when you account for an additional +1 Status, only costs 2 CP more, I would honestly go with the former (just keep Status 5).

If you wanted, you could give him High TL+2 and build the Iron Man suit off a Signature Gear version of a TL10 Commando Battlesuit with Helmet (it would count as a 36 CP Signature Gear). You could either purchase the other systems as upgrades to the Signature Gear or count them as individual gadgets, I am not sure which would be more affordable. Alternatively, you could go for the TL10 Heavy Battlesuit and upgrade it, though it would be a 84 CP Signature Gear.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #49
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I've always built gadgets by taking a real, purchasable item, seeing what abilities I want to assign, the taking gadget limitations on those abilities.

I'm not sure what (if any) underlying item you based this on. Basic has a few modern types of armor, plenty of primitive armors you can make with modern tech, and a few environmental suits. Choosing one will allow you to stack whatever advantages on top of the normal abilities (or DR) of the suit.

Breakable DR 25 also seems a bit odd, since the suit provides the wearer with more DR than that.

Nuisance Effect effectively means that he gets an additional penalty (roughly equal to a -1 reaction) on top of whatever he would get by wearing an item of this type normally.

Stolen is good but did you intend for anyone that gets it to be able to put on the suit and use it normally?

I'd suggest swapping superscience for maintenance or something similar. Stark usually has tech that others can't easily shut off.
I based it on the Dreadnought template from Supers, which uses DR25 on its Breakable, the -10% version of Can Be Stolen, and Superscience. Nuisance Effect (Real armor) also comes from Supers, and it represents the fact that if it's disabled in combat, it's so heavy that it effectively immobilizes him until he can get free. Definitely not something I'd use for a comics or movie version of Iron Man, but this version is bigger, bulkier, and less advanced. Re: Maintenance, I considered it, but as a limitation, it requires an hour of maintenance per advantage per week, which would be several dozen hours for a build like this. With this many points in the armor, would a general Maintenance disadvantage with the special effect that it affects the armor rather than himself be fair?
Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #50
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
I think that Stark is wealthier than Multimillionaire 1. He is worth over $12 billion which, at a 4% annualized return after taxes, gives him $40 million a month of income. That would either be Independent Income 2 with Multimillionaire 2 or Independent Income 20 with Multimillionaire 1. Since the former gives him 10x as much money for his toys and, when you account for an additional +1 Status, only costs 2 CP more, I would honestly go with the former (just keep Status 5).
I don't know why you're citing a number to me like it should matter when I've made it as clear as I can that this isn't meant to represent either the comics or cinematic universes. It's a fair question, though. Ultimately, when it comes to wealth at this level, when you don't have hard numbers to base things off of, you just have to go with your gut, and MM1+II10 was what I thought fit best.

Quote:
If you wanted, you could give him High TL+2 and build the Iron Man suit off a Signature Gear version of a TL10 Commando Battlesuit with Helmet (it would count as a 36 CP Signature Gear). You could either purchase the other systems as upgrades to the Signature Gear or count them as individual gadgets, I am not sure which would be more affordable. Alternatively, you could go for the TL10 Heavy Battlesuit and upgrade it, though it would be a 84 CP Signature Gear.
Another fair suggestion. I hadn't mentioned this yet, but one of the meta decisions I'd made was not giving anyone High TL. Building it using gadgets also let me fine-tune it more. I'm not overly concerned with point efficiency in this project.

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers