Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default How to lower the character weight, slim people

When I have a ST15 character (current world records are set by ST14 people), whose "normal" weight is supposed to range 343-512 pounds, I could change it with disadvantages such as "skinny" or "fat"... is there any advantage or perk allowing to do the same without taking any hits such as "ST-2 while resisting knockback"?

Last edited by Alonsua; 12-04-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: How to lower the character weight, slim people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
When I have a ST15 character (current world records are set by ST14 people), whose "normal" weight is supposed to range 343-512 pounds, I could change it with disadvantages such as "skinny" or "fat"... is there any advantage or perk allowing to do the same without taking any hits such as "ST-2 while resisting knockback"?
Well, ST to resist knockback is really a proxy for mass, so it should probably be set to match your weight, but GURPS RAW doesn't place any restrictions on size and weight, you're perfectly free to be ST 15 and 100 lb. You seem to have a house rule (this has come up before) that human weight should actually be close to the standard value of (ST/2)^3, but it really is a house rule.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, ST to resist knockback is really a proxy for mass, so it should probably be set to match your weight, but GURPS RAW doesn't place any restrictions on size and weight, you're perfectly free to be ST 15 and 100 lb. You seem to have a house rule (this has come up before) that human weight should actually be close to the standard value of (ST/2)^3, but it really is a house rule.
Yes, thats it, so I need an advantage to make exceptions to the rule... if it exists.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Other than Skinny there really isn't. It's not a big deal in RAW. If you have a house rule for a minimum mass, you'd have to check with your GM to house rule additional advantages/disadvantages/perks/quirks to modify your body mass.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #5
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Other than Skinny there really isn't. It's not a big deal in RAW. If you have a house rule for a minimum mass, you'd have to check with your GM to house rule additional advantages/disadvantages/perks/quirks to modify your body mass.
I am the GM, I just had the hope that something like that existed somewhere and I did not know it... maybe something to make up for the knockback and skill penalties disadvantages?

Last edited by Alonsua; 12-05-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
a humble lich

I'd just call it

Unusual Background: Stronger than Appears --- 5 points

The character's weight is independent of his or her ST, but resists knock back based on their full ST, not their mass, much like Superman and other comic book heroes.

Since it is your houserule that ties weight and ST together, you can change the point cost to whatever you think is appropriate. Having this Unusual background means the characters high ST is effectively hidden, so opponents might underestimate them, again think Superman. That is potentially useful, but not Earth-shattering, so I'd say it is worth about 5 points, but that is dependent on the setting, play style, etc.

P.S. I have to say, first glancing at the title I was worried that the thread was about the "5 weird tricks to shed belly fat" that I have been hearing so much about.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I'd just call it

Unusual Background: Stronger than Appears --- 5 points

The character's weight is independent of his or her ST, but resists knock back based on their full ST, not their mass, much like Superman and other comic book heroes.

Since it is your houserule that ties weight and ST together, you can change the point cost to whatever you think is appropriate. Having this Unusual background means the characters high ST is effectively hidden, so opponents might underestimate them, again think Superman. That is potentially useful, but not Earth-shattering, so I'd say it is worth about 5 points, but that is dependent on the setting, play style, etc.

P.S. I have to say, first glancing at the title I was worried that the thread was about the "5 weird tricks to shed belly fat" that I have been hearing so much about.
Hahahaha. That would be a roll of "disguise" I think. Is there anything aside unusual background, for regular people instead of superman-like characters?

... maybe something to make up for the penalties, like perks, techniques, or anything trainable?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #8
Maz

You could buy Lifting ST and/or Striking ST. This increase effective ST without increasing mass.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 AM   #9
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You could buy Lifting ST and/or Striking ST. This increase effective ST without increasing mass.
That would hit the HP... is there anything else, or something to make up for the disadvantages?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
That would hit the HP... is there anything else, or something to make up for the disadvantages?
Just buy up HP in lock step with Striking ST and Lifting ST.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote