Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Servanous

Default Magic items and Modular abilities in Ritual Path Magic settings

I really like the idea of magic items as gadget based advantages because the enchantment time is a straightforward two hundred hours per point. However it can be a pain for an adventurer with lots of magic items to have to pay tons of points for them. The Modular Abilities power offers a solution to this. Being able to change out a bonded magical item is a lot like the Chip Slot version of Modular Abilities with a base of five points plus three per point of abilities. Add Physical and Mental abilities to the Magic Item slot (+100%), Focus limit (magic gadgets -5%) and Trait limit (Advantages with magic item limits only -20%). This makes the Magic Item Modular Slot worth (+75%) for nine points (8.75) base and six (5.25) points per point of Modular Abilities. If you have a character running with more than six magic items it’s worth it to get this modular ability. Also of note is that the character only needs to pay the difference in cost between the number of levels of Modular Abilities and the most expensive magical item he or she owns. Since a magic item in RPM only loses ten percent of its effectiveness per day it’s possible to cycle through one’s magic items in the morning to keep them all charged up.
Servanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Magic items and Modular abilities in Ritual Path Magic settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servanous View Post
I really like the idea of magic items as gadget based advantages because the enchantment time is a straightforward two hundred hours per point. However it can be a pain for an adventurer with lots of magic items to have to pay tons of points for them. The Modular Abilities power offers a solution to this. Being able to change out a bonded magical item is a lot like the Chip Slot version of Modular Abilities with a base of five points plus three per point of abilities. Add Physical and Mental abilities to the Magic Item slot (+100%), Focus limit (magic gadgets -5%) and Trait limit (Advantages with magic item limits only -20%). This makes the Magic Item Modular Slot worth (+75%) for nine points (8.75) base and six (5.25) points per point of Modular Abilities. If you have a character running with more than six magic items it’s worth it to get this modular ability. Also of note is that the character only needs to pay the difference in cost between the number of levels of Modular Abilities and the most expensive magical item he or she owns. Since a magic item in RPM only loses ten percent of its effectiveness per day it’s possible to cycle through one’s magic items in the morning to keep them all charged up.
I'm pretty sure it would need to stay bound to you for a full day to stop it from losing its effectiveness. That said, I use the base system...but I change things up a bit. See my blog and the designer's notes for my article "Metatronic Generators."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of magic items, magic items, modular abilities, ritual path magic